So Now My Chicks Are 12 Days Old

So my 4 little girls are 12 days old. It's amazing to me and my family how fast they are growing. Little tails, a few new feathers, wings are so much bigger, and they're eating quite a bit. Made it through some pasting up and now we're thinking about coop/run designs.I've been reading about all of the wonderful treats chickens can be given but how old should they be before I do? I know it's in addition to their starter but I'd love to give them something they'd really like.After talking with the "chicken lady" in my neighborhood I think I'd like to add at least a couple more to the flock. Are there any problems with just adding 2-3 new, younger ones to the brooder box? I'd like to not have 2 separate boxes with extra feeder and waterer if possible. Mesa Feed won't be getting any more until Thursday so mine will be 16 days then.Thanks,Erin

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thanks Ben! :) To sum it up briefly: I had chicks exactly the ages you are talking about, I had a very large box that I could divide in half with a screen so they could see each other but not peck each other, and put the heat lamp on the side with the younger chicks, but angled in a way that the older ones got some warmth too. After one week I removed the screen and they got along just fine. I suspect you could even get away with separating them for only 3 or 4 days, possibly less.
    • Thanks for all of your replies! Sounds like it would be feasible for me to do then. Should've just picked up a few more when I got my original bunch.
  • check out rachel bess's blog site. there is a link on her page in the chicken forum. She does it by splitting the brooder in half with a screen, then introduces them some time later.

Mine are about 4 weeks old. I put them in the coop all day today since I finally got the door on. I fed them some turnip greens and they were pecking at it an ripping little chunks off of it. I tried giving them grapes and pineapple a couple days ago and they weren't as interested.
    • I think I'll wait a while longer before introducing some fresh stuff then.

I like the pics of your coop and would love to see the finished product when you have time.

Thanks.
  • I wouldn't add them in unless they were the same size. You could get them, add them and see what happens. Maybe a little 'fence' in the middle of the brooder.
This reply was deleted.