Cannibalism problems with "Production Reds"

I just started my flock with two Americaunas and two Production Reds from Pratts. They were all about two weeks old when I got them. This is so gross, but the Reds like to try and eat the other birds. Now, in a short time, all the birds are bleeding and missing feathers. I think I should just get rid of the Reds. BYW, this is not friendly pecking, or pecking order stuff, it appears to be they really are looking for a snack. Also, there is plenty of food sources, water, they live in a large enclosure. Any thoughts? Is it not OK to mix different chicken types? THX!!

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• We bought our 2 Americaunas, 2 Production Reds, and 2 Barred Rocks from the Stock shop, when they were just a few days old, around Valentine's day, and haven't had any problem with any cannibalism...I think it depends on the individual chickens- ours are really friendly, and don't peck at all....
    • I think you are right, because once I got rid of the problem birds the others have been fine. I do think this breed has more of the propensity to cannibalize, though.
      Thanks for your reply.
    • Yeah, not nice, and unusual for birds that are not crowded or stressed. They are healing up nicely, though. My next challenge will be to integrate the older birds with my new Australorps!
  • Were the birds together when you bought them? It may just be some pecking order stuff. Sometimes when they peck and accidentally draw blood then they get very aggressive at the sight of the blood. My best advice to you would be to keep them under a blue light for their heat lamp and also get some blu-kote (they should have it at pratt's or another feed store). This changes the wound sight to a dark purple/blue so it doesn't appear bloody to the other chickens. My easter egger is at the bottom of the pecking order (under a rhode island red amongst others) and always has a little spot on her back that gets picked despite plenty of food, water, calcium, space etc. I think as long as you can get it under control then you can keep all of them. If you're too worried about it, you can probably return the reds to pratt's and exchange them for a different breed. It can be difficult when things like this happen when you're first starting out. Don't get discouraged!

edit: Also, I had assumed you were talking about Rhode Island Reds, but if you're in fact talking about a breed that exists solely for production, that could be part of the problem. Those breeds are bred with only laying capacity in mind and a lot of the other desirable traits end up being bred out. Think of it like hybrid plants vs. heirlooms...
    • Thanks Rachel! Yeah, it was kind of disturbing for our first chicken experience. I took the worst one back to Pratts. I dont have a lot of chicken experience, but I do think this particular breed, called "Production Red" is not a great pet breed.

The two breeds I bought were caged seperately, so this was the first time they were combined. Interestingly, this problem did not manifest until the birds were put in an outdoor enclosure. When they were inside they were more mannerly. I think that heat and light encouraged the behavior too.

I will not be discouraged! In fact I just brought home 3 Autralorp chicks today. Love it!!
  • i have 4 rhode island reds, 4 barred rocks, 4 ameracaunas, and one other i dont recall the breed but they all seem to get along
    • Thanks Myron, I found an interesting article on the internet about this issue. This author does think the Production Reds are very cannibalistic. I think in my flock the hot weather and brightness helped make this problem. Anyway, I did take back the worst bird and got three new Australorp chicks! The link to the article follows if you are interested. Thanks!

http://www.plamondon.com/faq_healthcare.html
      Chicken Health Care
    • Thanks Dan. Hopefully mine will get along too!
This reply was deleted.