One of my girls layed her first egg!

I am so excited.Here's the story!My mother was visiting from out of town with her (very annoying) dogs. Who chased my girls all over the yard. Then on my mom's last day here, my barred rock went missing. We were so devastated. We checked all over the yard, all of the neighborhood alleys, went door to door on our block asking people to check their back yards (got some weird looks from that request,) I even went as far as posting lost chicken signs around the neighborhood. Then about 2 hours later, our D.D. reappeared. When we went to search the area she came from, we found the most perfect egg.I am so proud! :)But, I do have one question. Since laying her first egg, my D.D. has been overly friendly. She has not let me touch her since she was a chick, let alone pick her up, and now- if I am sitting outside, she will get up in my lap and look at me with her chicken eye until I pet her. She has even starting yelling at me when she hears me inside, near the back door. When I hear it, I go outside and make sure they have food and water, and as soon as I go back inside she starts yelling at me again. She will keep on doing it until I sit down, let her get in my lap, and pet her. Some, non-chicken owners I tell this story to laugh hysterically, one has even said "maybe she is just hormonal and overly sensitive since laying."Has anyone heard of a chicken becoming friendly overnight?

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Dawn~

Congratulations! Do you have pictures of your new friend? I would love to see them!

Heather
  • This reply was deleted.
    • A friend of mine's son had a rat like that, it used to ride on his shoulder. Gave my friend the creeps. ...Anyway, Dawn, congratulations on your eggs! What does your human DD think of all this? I'll bet she gets quite a kick out of it!
    • I suppose I am easily trained. I believe my 4 year old daughter would also agree. P.S. to TCarmichael- I love the canning pics on your page. Have you canned your prickly pears yet?
  • Hi, Dawn. I live in Tempe and keep 3 Barred Rock hens in my backyard. they started laying in the past 3 weeks and have also developed personality changes! two of them do the "chicken squat" whenever I come close, but the 3rd still runs away. I think that the runner is the last to begin laying and I hope that she also develops the squat soon.
    All three have become more friendly and, at the same time, more demanding of attention. they also come to the back door as soon as they hear the knob turn! They also will see me in the door's window and come a-running. too bad for them, I don't go out to pet them unless I have something to do out there. In the grand pecking order of my flock, I have to be the Top Chick, so to speak.
    One sidelight: my cats won't go into the backyard when the hens are free. I've seen the top hen (her name is Henrietta) chase them and go for their eyes. So, the hens run the yard these days, at least as far as the cats are concerned.

Wishing you a happy day, Barbara
    • Yes, I do have a dog who used to chase the chickens for sport, now I have noticed that sometimes they will turn and stand him down- it is a pretty funny sight.
  • Wow! That's cool and also probably a little annoying. :) I have never heard of something like this happening overnight. Usually they start doing that "Chicken squat" a few weeks before they begin to lay, but this is definitely a new phenomenon to me. Looks like you have a new best friend!
    • She did do the chicken squat for a few weeks before, and I was showing everyone who came over (even if they weren't interested) how big her butt was getting. :)
This reply was deleted.