Hi Folks,

The other day when it was 88+ something I sun dried some kale chips outside - took about 4 hours.  As we get further into the heat sun-drying is a fantastic way to use all the heat for natural drying/preserving.

I use an old metal baking pan, lined with syran wrap and cover with a paper towel or one of those picnic screens.

I've seen tiered screen set ups to hand outside and use.  This one on facebook was a kind of neat option if you have upcycle parts.  You want some kind of covering over the foods to keep the birds and bugs off while drying.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=255285484617570&set=a.162368060575980.55397.162261050586681&type=1&theater

Grace posted about baking dandelion leaves the other day.  Kale, sorrel, chard (I'm going to try curly escerole today) any sturdy edible green will work.  Toss with a bit of oil, sprinkle with salt and/or parmesean cheese if you like.  Layout in single layer - greens reduce in size quite a bit.

Other things I've sun-dried are tomatoes (halved), apple, apricot, peach slices (soak fruit in lemon water to minimize browning before laying out), a mix of vegetables to grind into a powder for flavoring soups and stews.

I was reading about a source for dried foods (Harmony House Foods - they offer non-gmo), and I might try sun-drying my garlic when I get it harvested, then I can have chopped/ground garlic for later.

I usually dry my herbs in the refrigerator as it preserves more of the volatile essential oils and color, but sun-drying is an option.

What other foods have your dried in an oven or sun-dried?

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Typically we eat it all or can/freeze it.  I have a ton of chard and kale left over still.  Chips are ok but not our favorite.  When you dry them, how do you use them?   Catherine, what do you mean drying in frig?

• I have been wanting to try drying them, and then grinding them into a powder to add to soups, stews and smoothies...

• There are lots of ways to rig up a sun dryer with stuff you already have, but in the event that you want a ready made product, I have this one and it works wonderfully!

http://www.amazon.com/Hanging-Raw-Food-Dehydrator-Powered/dp/B001T4...

You can dry a LOT of stuff on it and it doesn't require much space. I also like that you can hang it in the shade, because for some foods, the sun exposure can damage their nutrition...you just need warm, dry air. I pretty much have something in it constantly, between all my herbs, veggies and such. You can also use it as a sprouting tray....very cool!

• Oh, Karis I like that - I've seen similar setups - probably homemade but the same concept. Thanks for posting that I think I have to put that on my shopping list.

• I ordered mine with the Amazon gift card that I got for Christmas and I love it!

• Good recommendation - I added it to my wish list :-)

• how do you frig dry herbs?

• Stephanie - our modern refrigerators mimic the commercial freeze-drying process due to the constant removal of moisture.  So rinse the herbs, leave whole, lay out on a tray or plate and put in the refrigerator until dried.  Depending on the herbs it can take a few days to a few weeks.  When dried store whole in glass or plastic in a dark cupboard like other herbs and spices.  Crumble to use.  Save stems for flavoring things like soups and stews and you can remove them at the end of cooking.

• I have done tomatoes:

7141938743_3a8442c3c3_b.jpg

And figs:

3818049638_f2b0cdcc06_o.jpg

The thing on the tomatoes is a grain bag from the homebrew store. I have found that it has a million uses. 

I should do some kale...

• How did your dried figs hold up? I dried some last summer but I must not have gotten them dry enough because they molded.

This reply was deleted.