Hi Folks,

I caught an article in Sunday's magazine insert in the paper about preserving sunchokes ("Canning's Deep Roots")

I went looking for ideas and found pickling recipes and a reference to "Canning and freezing is not recommended due to discoloration and deterioration of texture."

The pickling recipes suggest water bath canning after pickling.

So . . . has anyone out there tried preserving sunchokes?  I have what looks like might be pretty good crop coming and while I know I can leave them in the ground for a while - in storage so to speak - I would be interested in any preserving ideas you all might have.

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• HI Catherine!

I just googled "Lact-fermented Sunchokes" and got a couple of hits.  I have been on a LF frenzy lately.  One of the yummiest slaws I made was one that had a LOT of jicama in it.  Not sure if the two have similar textures, but they are both roots so.....

Let us know what kind of yummy plan you devise!!

• Nicole, thanks for the LF reminder - when I saw the pickling recipe LF went in and out of my brain and I forgot about it :-)  I love jicama, and now that you mention it, I think the textures are very similar, so that may be a good indication of how the sunchokes may do.

• Oh, I hope it turns out well if you do try it.   I grated the jicama when I added it to the slaw.  The recipe I read for the sunchokes mentioned peeling and coring.  

WOuld love to hear how this turns out!!

• Have you thought of drying them? that seems to be the trad. method for potatoes.
This reply was deleted.