Replies

• I forgot to link to the recipe.....duh!

Pork and Broccoli Slaw Over Rice Noodles

• Heather must be traveling, she's mia.  I still have not gone to find the banana leaves but I used tin foil for a lemon grass with chicken and it was good.  But that recipe I linked above, Pork and Brocc, now that is a really good meal.  We've eaten it four times in a week - fish sauce and all.  :-)  Last night the package of brocc slaw had to hit the compost barrel but I had half a yellow squash, some frozen peas and small onions from the garden that pitch hit for the slaw very well thank you very much.  Try that recipe, it's great.  I continued with soba noodles as i had them on hand instead of rice noodles.  I even had a combo by using two chicken thiighs (left overs from the lemon grass tin foil meal) with the pork burgers.

• Looking again at the recipe Mary, it does sound really good.  I like to make versions of pasta primavera (mixing veggies in with noodles/spaghetti) often shredding zucchini, carrots etc. into the boiling water the last 1-2 minutes, so this is very similar but with different seasonings.

• Hi Mary,

It has lots of sodium, but the amount used in the finished product is minimal. That curry paste recipe makes a lot of paste. You only use 2-6 tblspn pf the paste when making the actual curry and that makes many servings- so teh amount in the finished product is minimal. Same with the noodle dish. You may use 2 tablespoon, but that's for the entire dish which is many servings. Soy sauce does not taste the same! :)

• Fish Sauce is salty and stinky, but wonderful mixed in with stuff. I try a different brand whenever I buy it (it lasts me forever). Last time I got theTropics brand. The fish sauce will be your main salty component. If you decide to use shrimp paste that will add salt as well. When I am making my curry paste into a curry sauce, I continue to add fish sauce, sugar and lime until the flavor is to my liking.

If you make the curry, let me know. I have a keffir lime tree- doing poorly under a eucalyptus, but I could still give you a couple of keffir leaves if you can't find them at Lee Lee's- they add a beautiful aromatic component.

For curry sauce, I use coconut milk. I feel like I remember you saying your don't like coconut though... There are other uses for curry paste, I just haven't tried them. For the other dish, the shrimp one, it;s not really saucy, mainly seasoned noodles with herbs and shrimp.

• Grilled fish!  Take a banana leaf (available at Lee Lee in the freezer section) and soften it over a gas flame or on a stove burner.  Cut off the rib.  In the center, lay out your fish with chopped lemon grass, sliced jalapeno, serrano or other hot chile, minced ginger, sliced garlic, thai basil, cilantro.  Drizzle with a bit of fish sauce and some oil.

Wrap the banana leaf around the fish and secure with toothpicks or skewers.  Grill the fish over medium high heat (time will depend on how your fish is prepared -- fillet vs. steak vs. whole), turning halfway through the cooking time. 

The banana leaf and all the aromatics really add nice flavor to the fish.

Also, you can make herbal tea, ice cream/sorbet, flavored vodka, salad dressing.  Smash up a stalk to break it open and release the aroma and toss it in the oil when doing a stir fry.  It goes great with rosemary or basil, and if you do a search, you'll come up with all sorts of lemongrass/rosemary recipes (chicken, ice cream, curries, stew, etc).

• I'm eating at Leanne's house! I never cook fish, but this sounds great!

• agree with Leanne. Lemon grass is most flavorful when used for grilling/roasting. The dry heat of roasting or grilling seems to bring out and amplify aromatic substances in lemon grass.  For those who eat meat, it is even more aromatic when roasting chicken/beef, etc.

Heather's recipe sounds exquisite too.

• Thai Green Curry Paste

Galangal root, sliced thinly or chopped,  1 tablespoon (or ginger)

Lemongrass, sliced thinly  2 tablespoons

Garlic, sliced  6 tablespoons

Shallots, sliced 5 tablespoons

3 serrano chiles

4 large green jalapeno chilies, seeded

Coriander root chopped  1 teaspoon

Kaffir lime zest  1 teaspoon or regular lime

Salt  1 teaspoon

Shrimp paste, roasted  1 teaspoon (optional)

White Peppercorns   1/2 teaspoon

Coriander seed, roasted  1 teaspoon

Cumin roasted  1 teaspoon

Coconut oil, vegetable oil, or coconut milk if you are going to use a food processor or blender.

If you want to know how to cook this, let me know.

You can look up a recipe for Thom Ka Gai soup

Also really good in thai basil shrimp recipe-pretty easy will share if you want.

• I almost added "Hi Heather!" to my message.  ;-))   First, where do you find some of this stuff?  Galangal root, shrimp paste?  LeLE I bet.  I go in there and cannot find things because I don't know my way around and don't understand the labels.  Although truthfully, I go to the Asian Market at 43rd and Union Hills.  So maybe LeLe is better for the inexperienced. 

And sure, next question is how do you put it together?  And do you mostly just toss it with noodles?  

Thanks Heather.  Anything/anyone else?

This reply was deleted.