herbs in your garden?

Just curious - who's growing what herbs?  Do you have anything unusual?

I have

Basil

oregano

flat leaf parsely

camomille

cilantro

sage

dill

native onion (green onion type)

shallots

Ginger - in a pot

and I have starter pots going of

lavender

rosemary

Last year I grew garlic and got quite a bit, going to grow it again this fall - it just takes quite a while.

My husband has some seeds for black pepper - I need to find them and start some.  And I have some flax seed I need to start as well.

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Karen, and Linda,

It is true that Oregano tastes better to most folks when it is dried as opposed to fresh.  The important issue is to find what most people think of as the "real" oregano - Greek  Origanum vulgare hirtum - there are more than a few varieties of origanum, but only the Greek has the taste we associate with, for instance, pizza.  A fresh leaf when bitten, will bite back - there are several other varieties - each with its own taste and all very different from Marjoram.  A link for some info at Mountain Valley Growers:

http://www.mountainvalleygrowers.com/orivulgarehirtum.htm

• Saul, you will have to tell me what "cervile margon" is :-)

I have grown several oreganos - they all do well here if you plant them October through February.  They need superior draining soil.  They will start out slow for the first year, but take off - full sun if you can do it but at least that 6+ year-round.  They will bloom off and on in the spring through late summer depending on the location in your garden.  Water as noted for the tarragon.

The Texas/Mexican/Spanish tarragon is a native to Arizona and is an excellent substitute for the French, although it lacks as you note the 'bite' of the Little Dragon.  Grown in sufficient sun, the Mexican Tarragon has a wonderful anise/licorice taste and scent.  It grow both so I can have some when I want it regardless of production or time of year.  The Mexican tarragon also goes dormant in the winter, but sometimes gives you some leaf production before quitting for a month or two.

• Hi All,

Over the last decade I have grown everything you all have mentioned, because I constantly experiment with new-to-me herbs and old favorites. I can answer specific plant questions if anyone has any.

Nasturtiums are great in the garden.  The leaves and flowers are peppery and the young seed after the flower has faded are horse-radish like in flavor.  Can be pickled like a caper - just limit quantities because of oxalic acid.

To grow nasturtiums, nick the seeds with a file or knife and soak overnight before planting in mid-to late September through December.  Mine reseeds freely year-to-year and I let it.

French Tarragon will go down to the ground in the winter.  It likes a little western afternoon shade in the summer.

There are a lot Oregano Varieties.  Greek Oregano is the one most people think of when cooking Italian or Greek food.  Mexican Oregano is a wonderful option and is related to Lemon Verbena another great plant for the desert garden.

Lavender is one of those herbs which will not give you a second chance if you overwater it, so it needs excellent drainage.  It is a good option for near block walls because it takes the lime leach well.

Hope some of that is helpful - happy gardening!

• Oooh, Catherine -a brain to pick!
      Any tips on propagating sage, lavender, Basil?

While wading through nastutium (and seeds!) I'm growing:
      sweet marjoram
      Lemon thyme
      Apple mint (crazy!)
      Dill (some headed to seed)
      Fennel
      Lemon balm (just started seeds)
      Sage (standard)
      Chocolate mint
      Catnip/cat mint
      Camomile (pruning back now)
      Pineapple sage
      Lemon grass
      Happy stuff here at Xericopia.
      -VYNNIE
    • Hi Vynnie,By propagating do you mean rooting cuttings? This would be a good time of year to try that, make sure the leaves which will be underwater are removed so they do not rot, re-cut the cutting 'under water' so the cut does not air seal and allows water uptake. If you are using a clear container, I like to cover the base with paper or aluminum foil so the roots are 'in the dark' and the top in the light. Bright indirect light is best. Change the water when needed.  Should root in 2-5 weeks depending.  Basil roots faster of the three.

If you are talking about growing them in general, Lavender and Sage are best purchased as plants - they take a while to germinate from seed.  Basil easily germinates from seed, particularly at this time of year - it loves the heat and sun.

Watch the watering on sages in the hottest part of the summer - they can actually go dormant and be over-watered, because of the intense heat.

Hope that helps :-)

• just read your comment about Lavender best to grow from plant... well I had just bought packet of seeds... any suggestions for NOv? I would love to get this going but usually have bought plants and they die in summer

• Hi Linda,

You can go ahead and try the seeds now - some - save some and try again in Feb/Mar - soak overnight.  Lavender, rosemary etc can all take a really long time to germinate.  In fact you might want to soak for several days, changing the water each day.  Let me know how you do :-)

• Just joined this group... mu 2 cents: My korean Green shisho is finally up and going. would love to find the purple / green kind in seeds ,anyone know where? Tasts very different then green/

I now have 3 different types of basil

Oregano that is growing well but not very flavorful sad to say

Cilantro went great during the winter/ spring.

I look forward to trying Vietnamese

NAsturiams did well!

garlic did well

Lemongrass growing in pot but still unclear how to harvest

Mint in pot has been lovely for summer use

Rosemary has not grown large but keeps on keeping on.

For me with all the flops I have in the garden I relish ( no pun intended the wins!)

• Hi Linda,

Lemongrass is great to grow and use.  Think of it as something like a scallion.  You can harvest the whole 'offset' and use the tender bulb area for cooking where you leave the finely chopped bulb in the food, and you can also use the tough leaves for flavoring foods (steaming, grilling, or making broths etc.) where you pull the mass of leaves out before serving.  You can also just give the plants an occassional hair cut to make lemon flavor teas, beverages, and broths.  Steaming in the leaves (a mass of the leaves, rinsed under and over the food in a cover container or package of foil) gives things like fish and chicken a wonderful aroma and flavor with the addition of herbs of your choice.  Lemon grass benefits from a pie shaped wedge being removed completely from the mass about every 6-8 months or so depending on how big the plant is - it can easily overtake even a very large pot.

• Not sure how I missed your reply back in Sept. Thanks! I think my lemon grass was completely overgrown when I finally harvested it in OCt and now am trying again. I actually used very little of the plant ... thanks as always Catherine . I plan on doing better this time around !

This reply was deleted.