herbs in your garden?

Just curious - who's growing what herbs?  Do you have anything unusual?

I have

Basil

oregano

flat leaf parsely

camomille

cilantro

sage

dill

native onion (green onion type)

shallots

Ginger - in a pot

and I have starter pots going of

lavender

rosemary

Last year I grew garlic and got quite a bit, going to grow it again this fall - it just takes quite a while.

My husband has some seeds for black pepper - I need to find them and start some.  And I have some flax seed I need to start as well.

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• What is native onion? Green onions are something I have never had much luck with, but would be super useful if I could make them work.

I plant french tarragon under my tomato plants and it thrives...hasn't seen any frost damage so far.

A new herb I tried this year is cutting celery.  It is a grass like herb that looks like skinny celery stalks and leaves and its prolific. Started it from seed. Its wonderful to go out to the garden and cut some to chop into soup, sauce, salsa and salads. I also have traditional celery that I started from plants purchased in early august and it is also doing well. partial shade near a wall...so shade seems to help it in heat and the heat retained by the wall seems to help it in winter.

I also have a bay tree that has spurned a new love affair with this wonderful herb.

Supposidly easy herbs I always kill:

cilantro

mint

chammomile

would love advise!

• Does the cutting celery have a celery-like taste?  I'd be interested in knowing where you got your seeds, and where you have it planted -- we eat a lot of celery, and it would be fun to try to grow a reasonable facsimile.  I have crappy luck with onions too, but my chives are doing very well this year -- they're not quite a substitute for green onions, but they have good oniony flavor.

• oops just saw this. I was at Baker nursery yesterday and they now have more variety of Shisho seeds than they did several months ago. My green shisho has been growing well this summer but honestly do not love the taste like I do with purple . Should I be assuming that planting shisho seeds should wait till summer to plant with the basil seeds?

• Yes, Linda, treat Shiso like basil for planting and culture. :-)

• I really need advice from someone on growing and maintaining French TARAGON, in AZ. Can anyone help? I kill very few plants, and this on is one of them. Please help on growing conditions. ThX

• Hi Saul,

I have grown the French Tarragon for several years.  They go dormant in the winter, they do not like the western summer sun and can flourish with standard herb watering practices (deep water and then let them dry out before watering again.  I grow them in the ground.  They still need about 6 hours of sun a day year round.  What other questions do you have Saul?

• thanks, i think i just keep putting them in the wrong spot, Im not a fan of the texas terragon, but its easier to grow, the french terragon is much stronger and the prize, i just have to keep at it. My dreans of fresh Bernease Sauce will have to wait, then, lol. How about cervile margon or petite oregano , do you find it to grow in our climate? i love you page discusion. THX

• Saul,until you can grow your own.. Penzeys sells wonderful French Tarragon. I have never been big user of Tarragon... until I bought theirs! RE oregano... I have great luck growing ORegano- PErry MOrse- organic seeds..but boring taste

• Linda - I've heard that Oregano is one of those herbs that drying intensifies the flavors.  Have you tried drying yours?

• tried drying it and it did not have any of the flavor of Penzeys' or Trader Joes.... and then I harvested lots more to get it out of the way and waiting to see how it tastes

This reply was deleted.