Hi Folks,

So I've had a problem with allergic bronchitis for almost 2 months which means I have not been able to spend enough time in the garden.

So I have an abundance of gorgeous red leaf (really deep maroon) lettuce and I am going to try to dehydrate in the sun when we warm back up, and wondered if anyone had done anything similar.

I've dried my kale and all sorts of fruits and herbs and some veggies this way, but since lettuce has a lot more water than kale, I don't know how it will turn out.  I'm thinking of drying some other veggies and herbs and grinding them together with the lettuce to form a dried mix to add to soups and stews.

Any thoughts out there folks?

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I think a photo essay would be excellent to see once finished.

Never done lettuce. We've done dry soup mixes with onions, celery etc. but lettuce isn't really something i'd consider a soup ingredient. Bet it would be good though if dried.

• Brian thanks for your thoughts.  I frequently shred lettuces, kales and arugula, fresh, into my soups and stews right before serving - gives a nice touch to them.

I decided to start the process today, since while not warm, my metal picnic table helps keep the heat permeating the tray.  I know it will take about 2 days to do this at least because the air temps are not 90.  FYI I take the tray(s) in at night once the sun goes off them to keep them from rehydrating over night.

• Brian - here a picture of the start - I use a metal tray with aluminum back parchment paper (adds heat) and I cover with a paper towel to keep insects, dust and birds off.  Both papers can be reused several times as long a I don't cross flavors - like onion to mint.

You might like to check out a post I did on herb and green soups - based on Provencal style soups using fresh greens and herbs the flavors are outstanding, and easily adaptable to whatever you enjoy most or have on hand.

http://www.phoenixpermaculture.org/group/growinggourmet/forum/topic...

5022481490?profile=original

• More pictures please as the process goes along!

I had never thought of this and apprecaite the new thoughts on lettuce in soups.

• Brian and all, here is the lettuce completely dried - day 2.

I brought them in overnight and they were about 50+ % dried, and completely dried when I checked and took the picture about 3pm on April 3rd.

Obviously substantial reduction in bulk.  The taste is robust, like the red leaf when it is fresh..  I think it is going to work for what I am looking for.  I'm going to dry more veggies and do a mix.  I had also dried some of my parsley and celery while I was at it.

I'm making a quick beef stew today (Friday) and will add some crushed to it and see what we think :-)

5022561862?profile=original

• ooh! More pictures of the soup please.

If nothing else those are really pretty.

This reply was deleted.