Cantaloupes

I have two baby cantaloupes that are growing like gangbusters.  That's the sad part, how come I don't have more?  I am not sure how to hand fertilize, do you just use a q-tip and spread the pollen all around or how do you tell the male from female flowers? I know I should be greatful for two, but I am greedy.  Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.5020348671?profile=original

100_1917.JPG

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Michele,

Here is a video that explains what to look for to identify male vs female flowers.  (http://bcove.me/5s7nzy58)  The Female flowers look like they have mini versions of the fruit or veggie it will grow into at the base of the flower, males just have a straight stem.  My squash sometimes had gone through early periods where there were profuse male flowers blooming before any females started appearing.  I almost wonder if the plant was seducing the pollinators before putting the effort into generating female flowers...  Anyway, hand pollinating can be easily done by just pulling off one of the male flowers and pulling the petels back and gently moving the pollen laden parts around in the female flower - some people use small artist paint brushes to accomplish this more delicately.  Don't forget you can also eat those male flowers, especially after you harvest the pollen - double duty flower production!  Good luck with your harvest.

• I thought the plants were big, but again I am new at this. Did you see the other photo to get an idea of the plant size?  I read they are heavy feeders, I have been fertilizing every two weeks, and the soil is good too.I measured one fruit and it grew a half an inch overnight! Maybe I just have to be patient. Thank you for your insight.
    • Thank you for the great video. I have plenty squash blossoms from my zuchinni plant maybe I'll try cooking some of those for an experiment.
  • I'll tell you, I had wild success with cantaloupes a couple of years ago, and they just limped along until June or July when they went crazy with production. It may just be a matter of time!
This reply was deleted.