Wood chips to avoid

Can anyone advise whether there are some trees w/toxins (or other problem) that would not be desireable for yard/garden? I'm inclined to avoid Palm and Eucalyptis but maybe these chips would be  ok if trees are cut before they set seeds......

Your experience is welcome. MA

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thank you all for taking the time to share.

I don't have palm trees, thank God. But wasn't sure when they were more likely to 'sow their seed' and whether the actual trunk was useful or something to avoid. I'm still pulling up blades of Palm that have drifted from others' via the air.

• My beds were originally filled with a mixture that contained palm. It takes forever to break down, but does hold water well.
    • I use cut palm fronds to create more shade around beds and propped up against white fence wall behind beds to cut back on harsh light and heat from wall. I also use palm on ground around bed instead of hay ( not the sharp spiky palm fronds though for that) . I also am hoping the roughness of palms discourage some of the rabbits and cats in the area.....not sure I can say that it has help;)

Hope that will give you a few alternative ideas of what to do with the palm.

Linda

• Hi Linda,

Regarding cats - without harming them - I read a number of years ago of a technique, and have used it successfully to keep roaming cats out of the beds.  Looks funky but works great without damage.  Purchase very cheap, in large enough quantities to use in your garden beds - plastic forks!

"Plant the forks" tine side up pressing down to the 'shoulder' - place no more than 3-4 inches apart in rows or concentric circles.  The first time kitty tries to dig the usually catch a tine, wince and leave.

• Cathy,Interesting variation on a theme! thanks

• You are welcome :-)  I love cats (along with just about every other critter), just not digging in the yard.
    • any chance of it helping with rabbits or do you other suggestion on that. Most of my varied planting are outside of walled in fence. Not gotten up fencing around them individually yet and everyday I see the effects of some thing's munching. Interesting what vegetables are on the preference list.
    • Hi Linda, and All,

The bunnies definetly like young and new - if the problem is a real pain, I put short 'chicken wire' hats over new growth/transplants until the plants reach up taller.  That seems to distract the bunnies long enough for them to get going and then when I take the hats off they leave them alone. - at least it has worked every time I have tried it :-)

• Hi Mary Ann,

Palm is essentially a very tall piece of grass - may not make good mulch if that is what you are looking for - it can certainly be chopped up.  I can't think of a problem with eucalytis.  Oleander is a NO/NO, any fruit tree is fine.  No diseased wood should be used or even composted.

Hope that helps,

Catherine

This reply was deleted.