Sulphur for pH reduction

According to my recent soil test I need to reduce the pH of my soil which puts me in the same situation as most new gardeners in the valley.  I've been advised to use elemental sulphur. I bought some "Soil Acidifier" at HD, $10 for a 6 lb. bag which only covers 50 sq ft. This is too expensive, not practical for a 250 sq ft. vegetable garden. Does anyone know of a better/cheaper supplier or another option?

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Good thread :)...common problem out here....

Where did u get ur soil tested ?  I might recommend Thelma @ Motzz Laboratories in East Phx...a client that I put in their facility who I know often comes highly recommended....she has been established for a long time...

I agree with the advice here...I would start with compost & even some mixture free coffee grounds from a coffee shop or inexpensive organic mulch....start relatively slowly but I agree that this should bring ur pH down enuf...

I have no problems with mine but my current garden has also been building for 16 yrs...

• I had my soil tested at Motzz a few weeks ago. I thought $60 was a bit high. I won't be doing that too often.

• I remember buying the same package of "Soil Acidifier" for $10 at HD a few years ago and when I looked at the labeling I saw "ammonium sulfate".  Then I kicked myself because I had a 20 lb bag of the same stuff in my garage that I had bought for something less.

Ammonium sulfate provides both sulfur and nitrogen to the soil.  If you use it regularly and in small amounts, it will gradually lower the pH.  This is safer for the plants and better for the soil than dumping a large amount all at once.

The other way to go about it is to use compost.  Much of the Valley soil is alkaline because it is so poor in organic material which adds acids.  I compost citrus peels in the spring and add the compost in the fall.  It works well for me.

• I've added compost, composted manure, peat moss and sulphur for pH reduction and fertilization and also alfalfa pellets to boost the nitrogen. My soil was tilled for the first time in February. I'm prepping the soil for my Fall/Winter crop.

• Sounds like you are ready for an awesome crop.

If you haven't had much rain this monsoon, consider watering the fallow garden a bit.  The soil critters need a bit of moisture to do their work.

• Yes, Catherine gave the same advice. I've been keeping it moist and I've got a drip tape system set up. Hoping for the best. Thanks for the input.

• Maybe someone can confirm this for sure but upon further research I think it was Fertizona.
    • Yes, I found their website but I don't see any sulphur products.

• I got mine from a farm supply company out in Wadell. It was around 15$ for a 50lb bag. Cant remember what the name of the Company was. There used to be a thread on here but it got removed. Im sure there is someone on here that knows the name of the place im talking about. Hopefully theyll see this thread and name it. It was kind of a drive but worth it to me for the price. As you know it is important to the success of your garden here, and I have over 1000 sq ft of just vegetable garden. That bag has lasted me quite a while.
This reply was deleted.