...or can I just start layering my greens and browns?  I am new to Phoenix and have decided to try out the city's recycled trash can composting bin.  The How-To leaflet provided by the city mentions that I should have gotten a bag of composting mulch with my bin, and because I didn't get one, I am contemplating going out to find a bag.  What are the benefits of starting with the mulch, and what are the chances that my pile with be un/successful  if I just start layering my personal stock of matter?

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Can you please send me a link to get a compost bin from the city of Phoenix?
    • In the city's composting basics document, they mention that each bin comes with composting mulch... you may want to ask when you get there.

• Hi Angie,

The idea behind a 'compost starter' or 'seeding' your new compost with an existing compost, is that the composting process requires all sorts of organisms that are found in healthy soil or existing compost ... it is a way to make sure that you start off on the right track ... that said, if you build your compost pile on / in contact with native soil you will acquire most of your own required organisms from your own site ... it might just take a bit longer before your compost pile really begins processing ...

Bryan

www.thegreenhousefarm.com

the green house farm
      the green house farm is a company that will help you grow your garden green.
    • Thanks Bryan!  Just the kind of advice I was looking for! 

I AM starting directly on the ground, but wouldn't mind having some starter.  I wonder... Could I just go grab a bucket full of compost from my friend's pile and use that?

• yep ... perfect!
  • Thanks
This reply was deleted.