Hot topic.

Those baby chicks grew up into chickens! I really like them, but they are messy creatures. I no longer like my back porch. I no longer like my compost heap. I certainly didn't know they could produce their body weight in manure over three months time. Surprise! I used to enjoy turning my compost and digging in it and feeling the finished compost as I cultivated my garden. Now the idea of running my fingers through that **** is more than I can handle. It makes me want to gag. Plus, they say chicken manure is hot, so how long do I have to let it set before I can use it in my garden bed? We're working on a way to contain the chickens in an aviary. What can I do to feel better about the manure aspect of gardening and composting, especially when they say people with immune deficiencies shouldn't eat manure-produced food? It's not a problem in our household, just a thought. I'm still not sure how I'm going to like the farm-fresh eggs my chickens are soon to produce in abundance!

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I've never claimed not to be the pre-packaged girl. I like my boneless, skinless chicken breast from Sam's. I like my clean eggs in styrofoam containiers, especially now that they can be recycled! I will never use humanure. I'm just trying to do my small part. The problem with purchasing a diamond in the rough for a home is that it needs a good polishing. These things take time. I have had to stall my plantings in favor of the chickens because they're here, and the plantings are not. There's nothing more "earthy" than stepping barefoot in cold chicken poop on the doormat when all you want to do is feed the dog. And I really don't want to get into the dog, who is up 6 and 4 for our chicken count. Today we're working on the section of fence that will provide one more section of our aviary under the fig tree. Chris, there are figs to be harvested, readily seen now that most of the leaves have dropped. I intend to divide the yard into quadrants, and move the chickens around the yard seasonally ... , I figure by the time they get around to the original poop (coop?), it will be sufficiently "ripened" for my germophobe nature. Somehow the idea of growing radishes, carrots, or potatoes in raw chicken poop just doesn't appeal to me. Thanks for all of your support!
    • Hang in there Anita. The chicken poop on the porch almost pushed me over the edge of sanity also. In the summer the porch is the coolest place for them. We put them in a side yard for the fall/winter/spring and so far all involved are quite happy.

The eggs are quite small and different from the grocery store when they first start laying, but after a few months I am sure you will be quite attched to those eggs. My husband was mostly horrified by all things chickens at first but about a month ago we had to buy eggs from teh store and he was verging on a mix of heartbroken/indignantion. After a week, we found a stash of over 20 eggs! Then, he didn't have to feel so wronged anymore. If my surburban raised, sterile husband can embrace the eggs and the chickens my hope is even a pre-packaged girl will too.

On a final note, my grandfather had a saying: "give a chicken one pound of feed and it will give you two pounds of poop" I can't even THINK of that saying without laughing now.

Good luck with it all!
  • Personally, I am not the slightest bit concerned about hygiene (chicken poop germs). Sometimes the eggs are covered in it. I am also not concerned about using the compost straight out from under the chickens with their poop straight onto my beds. Not directly onto the plants but around them or in a bed that I am preparing for plantings. The eggs are great, but be sure you can recover from your concerns before you spend the money and time on building something for them.

I remember when I got my first eggs, it took a few months before I would begin eating them. Something bothered me about eating the eggs produced right out of the chicken. I don't know why it bothered me, but I am glad I got over it because now I love the compost, the eggs, and I would be so upset to remove the coop I spent so much time and money building.

I totally understand not enjoying the patio or anything covered in poop. When I let the chickens out to range I don't like the poop everywhere either and I hate to waste the water by hosing it down. I just let it dry and sweep it off. I hope to create a gate on one side of the house that they can explore when I do let them out. If I let them roam totally free in my whole yard they will eat my plantings. I love free range, but really they are fine in a cage in my opinion. Mine seem perfectly happy.
  • Check out my pictures. If you are looking for a quick and easy coop, you can use a dog kennel like we purchased from Lowes. We put a top on it to help shelter from the rain. It's a perfect size for our yard and very sturdy. We did have to build a cover to provide shelter. We also covered with bird cloth to cut down feeding the neighborhood birds. We turn the chickens out almost every night right before sundown and let them run around in the yard without too much damage, then they march themselves back to the coop like clockwork and go to bed! Our neighbors and friends sometimes stop by to watch the 'chicken run' and throw some scratch down. I am happy that everyone is fascinated and enjoys watching the chickens. I can't wait until all my chickens are laying so I can share with the neighbors and family.
    I was worried about my dogs getting into compost so I bought an above ground composter which works great in hot composting the manure. I make 4 batches a year. We've acquired a bunny who contributes on a regular basis but I usually only clean out the coop twice a year and add to the compost. I've read that chicken manure has to be seasoned. I haven't run into any problems composting the coop twice a year. I layer the coop with hay and alphalfa to keep it nice for the chickens who stir it up into wonderful mulch for the compost. Everything seems to be in balance except for the dogs who've trampled my garden 3 times to eat the turnips, beets and radishes...and then in the spring there's the bugs....stink bugs...we have unfinished business. I hope this helps. It works for us in the city...except for the one rooster which I'll be posting a picture of soon! He's a beautiful cochin/frizzle mix, but has to find another home..
    My kids always thought the brown eggs tasted better than the green eggs... My husband says they taste better than store bought. They are richer tasting to me and beautiful. When your girls start laying, hopefully, you will feel that it is all worth it!
    Good luck with finding your balance!
    Susan
This reply was deleted.