Bermuda Grass Quandry

I have a very large area of bermuda (nightmare), grass. I am planning to xeriscape, and turn it over to growing beds, and have been dithering for over a year now on what the best way to do this would be even though I know none are ideal.I had pretty much decided to do the Roundup method with Don's bioremediation on the areas that I plan to use for food, but now that I have the Roundup sitting in the garage I feel rather dispirited by the whole thing.I will be getting chickens in the Fall. Is it worth my waiting until they are grown next summer and letting them peck and forage away at it? Will this get rid of most of it? I am prepared to wait if it means I don't need to use the Roundup. Has anyone else used their chickens with success?I am dithering so much about this whole thing and don't know what to do now.Thank you for any thoughts! :)

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thank you Michele for your thoughts on this! I have to say I am moving away from the roundup method at the moment for a few reasons including the fact that I have decided that I don't need to get everything done at once. I think I might try various methods in different areas with an overall goal of getting rid of it all eventually. I really appreciate hearing about your experiences, it helps a lot. Thanks again!
  • You need to learn about lasagna style gardening. You won't have to do anything with prepping the areas except for laying down cardboard or newspaper right on top. This will kill everything below it and be the first layer to your soil. I love it because you never have to dig or till. A great book to learn about this is Lasagna Gardening by Patricia Lanza. I am reading this book now. I know several people here in AZ who have had very successful gardens.

Peggy
    • Thanks Peggy, this sounds great! Will it really clear the bermuda grass, as well as preparing the ground? I am off to find me some cardboard. Thanks for your thoughts! :)
    • Everything I have read says it will. I am just starting my first lasagna garden myself. I am really excited.
      I am going to start a lasagna garden post to see if we can get some more feedback.

Peggy
    • Sounds great Peggy! :)
This reply was deleted.