Mesquite tree source

Does anyone know of a source of native mesquite trees in the east valley? I am looking for a Honey Mesquite so I can harvest the beans, and also so it won't fall over during a storm (hopefully).

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Not east valley, but Desert Gardens Nursery carries all kinds of natives. Off the 101 and Cave Creek. A friend of ours got his Velvet mesquites there.

I don't know why natives are so hard to find. Natives usually will have thorns while young and taper off as they get older. Plus, when watered correctly (not over watered) they will be deciduous in the winter and loose their leaves allowing the sun to warm the house etc. PLUS, you can mill the bean pods into sweet mesquite four.

Most consumers want thornless which usually means the chilean or argentinia non-natives to fit the request. The non-native kind are more evergreen and do not loose their leaves and their pods have very little flavor and are not good for flour.
    • You're amazing, Ericka! 

• Just came back from Botanical Gardens and you are right, they had no thornless or velvet mesquite although their plant list had it as one of the trees available. I ended up purchasing the screwbean among several others. I was pleased to find purslane seeds as well. I removed them from my garden years ago until I found out how good they are for you.
    • I am just curious how large the trees are and the cost. I looked at some mesquite at A & P and they looked like large sticks for 44.95 (think they were 15 gallon). I may just check out some other sources that have been provided to me by the postings. Does DBG sell their trees throughout the year from their nursery or is the sale the only time to get them?
    • The trees were in a 5 gallon container for $6.50. They ranged from 8 to 20 inches tall. There were larger buckets for $20.00. DBG does not sell them throughout the year. Hope this helps.
    • If you are wanting true natives, it is more important that the nursery has the botanical name on the pots rather than them saying they are "native" mesquites. Hybrid mesquites are everywhere and not true natives (though they may be a cross between a native and another type) I am not familiar with A&P and their mesquite offerings.

Here is a great page on the Velvet, which works well here in the valley. There are other kinds that work well too, including the screw bean, google a bit for more information.
      Velvet Mesquite
  • The Desert Botanical Garden did have some Honey Mesquite at their fall sale this morning (today was members only day) - I didn't check to see if they were thornless though. I purchased my Honey Mesquite earlier this year from Baker's Nursery (40th St and Osborn, (602)955-4500 ) - not east valley but...
  • I called all around and found one nursery Desierto Verde - 480-423-0202.
    I will still be going to Botanical garden plant sale, they have a thornless honey mesquite. My type of tree.
    • Thank you. I am amazed that something so native is so difficult to find here. I will most likely attend the plant sale as well.
  • Hi Tracey;
    The Desert Botanical Gardens is having there plant sale this weekend and they will have Honey mesquite, I just checked the plant list and they are showing it. Saturday the 16th from 7am till 5pm.
This reply was deleted.