I am finally going to do it. The front yard is part bermuda (if I ever find the people responsible for bringing Bermuda to Phoenix, it will be a messy affair) and part gravel (on black plastic) with native plants. I am going to remove the plastic and have a 3 foot wall built around most of the yard and convert the area inside the wall to a big native edibles. (Outside will be agave, prickly pear and other spiky natives) I have recently planted two mesquites and will be catching a ride to Tucson with a friend on Friday and stopping by native seed search. I already have a few native melon seeds from there and some tepary beans. In addition, I am planning on getting these varieties to start out:Mayo Grain AmaranthBisbee red black-eyed peaTabasco ChilesOnavas red sorghumMagdalena big squashPunta Banda TomatoSome type of flour variety of corn (suggestions?)If anyone has any suggestions/tips or any varieties of native seeds that they would recommend I'd love to hear about it. Also, soil prepping. I'm not sure what to expect under the black plastic, there may be lots of runners and there certainly are some areas with heavy bermuda. My plan: dig it out then perhaps wet newspaper and manure? PLEASE ADVISE! ;)(I am also thinking about hatching some quail eggs in my incubator and building an aviary for them out front)

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thanks Casey, I love penstemons, and would be more than happy to help lighten your load, perhaps we could swap for something, any kinds of seed you're looking for?
    • I have thought about that, but I had two issues, one: too tall, I want to still be able to see out into the street, and two: I know there are issues with overharvesting of octatillo forests (are they called forests?) and I'm sure I could find some that is responsibly collected/grown from seed, the wall is going to be about 120 feet long and I think that would cost too much.
    • Thanks Jen, all of those seem like good ideas. Of course I'd be willing to get you your list of stuff too, I'll bring it to the market on saturday. You can email it to me at rachel (at) rachelbess (dot) com.

I'm hoping that most of the bermuda is in the areas where there's no plastic and that I won't have to dig out the whole yard, only about half of it. ;) I think the compost tea idea is a good one. I know my mother has a giant tea maker too, since she's in sedona yours may be a better option. I'm afraid that there will have to be a little round-up sprayed, but I'm really hoping to avoid it as much as possible as I think Monsanto is about the worst company to ever exist.

I have a bunch of non-native heirlooms that I would be willing to trade for native seeds and digging work. I can setting aside chicken poop too for trade. I will be happy to take your clean dirt, I'll have to borrow my mother-in-law's truck.

I have put "Coming Home to Eat" on hold at the Library, so I should have it soon, thanks for the suggestion!
  • It's definitely not too hot so long as they always have some shade available... most quail varieties are native and spend their summers in our deserts anyway. I'm really interested in keeping some, I just have so many projects up in the air right now it will be next year before I'm able to do them probably (they have to wait until after the next round of chicks arrive, then after hatching ducklings...)
  • Are you talking about the masked bobwhite quail? I am looking into what's required to hatch these and a few other varieties and keep them as pets. My neighbor who wants quail told me that Pratts only carries Cotournix/Pharoah quail and button quail because all others require permits or proof that they're from a breeder. I would love to hatch some out in my incubator. I think it would be great to have these in a native garden, but I have a feeling my neighbor's cats would require me to keep them in an aviary.
    • I have talked to AZ game and fish and there's a license called the "Game Bird hobby license" that's found here: http://www.azgfd.gov/eservices/special_licenses/gamebird_hobby.shtml

It applies to anyone wanting to keep gambel and other native quail as pets (amongst other things) it costs $5 per year. I doubt you'd ever get in trouble not having this, but in case you wanted to know, here's the info.
  • Sounds like your biggest problem is the same as mine: getting rid of that grass. There seems to be very few, if any, good books written about native food gardening in our low desert. (I have at least 5 southwestern gardening books and NONE of them mentions edibles, but if anyone has any, let's here them!) If several of us begin experimenting with it, that may be a good project for a few years down the line. At least a pamphlet.

Quail are great as a clean up crew in large aviaries. Usually I see them with parakeets and cockatiels. My concern about having the quail outside free is that a cat will get them, they're pretty easy prey, so if you live in a regular neighborhood that has people's cats roaming around, your quail could have a short life. Perhaps a quail tractor would be in order? I don't know that they'd have major benefits to the garden aside from aesthetics and small amounts of nitrogen deposits :) (?)
This reply was deleted.