Blood Sugar and Prickly Pear

My sister is hypoglycemic, she found this out after she crashed this weekend at work. Her blood sugar level was 30 2 hours after a healthy lunch of salad, trout and milk. She works in the nursing feild so her co-workers were able to administer glucose under the tongue but she crashed again 6 hours later. Tests are being run.Anyway I read up a little about prickly per harvest and the fruit and it turns out the fruit may be beneficial in balancing blood sugar levels. Studies are being conducted as to the medical benefits to diabetics of prickly pear.Is it to late to harvest fruit? Does anyone know the best way to preserve prickly pear? Does anyone have first hand knowledge that would support this?Ya know, I was sitting here stressing about this, and the fact that she is a single mom and I'm taking her daughter for the summer, leaving her alone to care for my 4 yr old nephew, when I reread this page. I just lost my baby brother last November and the thought of my baby sister being ill is almost paralyzing for me.The universe kinda gives you what you need sometime's doesn't it? I mean, she lives in South Dakota but I live here and have access to fruit on private property and I joined this sub-group because I have access to mesquite tree's that led me to read the info that may be able to help her. See?

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Very cool. Most people can't tell we're part native because of the blond hair and blue eyes. It's cool that you spotted that in my facial structure. I never mentioned it did I? No, I wouldn't have, probably not even in my rambling first post.
      I don't suppose you have "Why some like it Hot" on hand, do you?
  • As a hypoglycemic person who has not had a crash in years, and is not on medication, there are a few things I've learned to avoid.
    ALL white sugar, ALL white flour, ALL white rice, white corn, basically you don't want to eat white foods. ALL cornsyrups. ALL fake or synthetic sweeteners (odd, but true). Eliminating all these foods goes a long way toward long term control. She needs to avoid milk for now, as well as most things with even natural sugars in them. No Juice, especially grape and apple. Juice MUST have pulp in it not just clear juice, one glass of which could be deadly for her now.

The beginning anti crash diet is lots of oatmeal and thick, hearty whole grain breads with baked fish and chicken. Eggs are great. NO BEEF it is too difficult to digest at first and throws the whole index off. It's time for her to back off and ease into this control diet nice and slowly.
    Meals should not exceed 400 calories at a time. (you have to sneak the food in under the radar of that overactive insulin production) I eat every 2-3 hours. Oatmeal, flax, grits, beans, prunes (5 every day) are great for controlling the glycemic index and they are very tasty, but she can't have any prunes either for a few weeks. Time for some mesquite bean pancakes!

According to my research the best meats for her to eat are quail, dove, Silkie Chicken, and rabbit. The experiments I'm doing are really great and I feel in control! This is not easy, I wish her luck and it's good for her to take some classes in nutrition. I had to get a degree in nutrition Just to feed myself. It was so worth it.
  • This reply was deleted.
    • Thanks! Turns out Prickly Pear is good for maintaining without sending into hypoglycemia so it may not be the best bet for her. I need to do more research and teh net isn't always the best recourse, so I'll definately check out these books.
This reply was deleted.