Replies

• Here is a link to the battery-powered one that I use. They're about $50.
    http://www.amazon.com/Petmate-LeBistro-Portion-Control-Automatic/dp...

I think I'm going to build one of the "step-on" feeders too, I've always been curious to see how easy the chickens take to them. I bet to train them, you'd prop it open so they get used to going to it for food and after a few days close it and see if they figure it out. I'm sure once they do, it would be a breeze since food is such a strong motivator for them.
    • Thank you for the link. I was looking at that one but didn't know if it would work or not. Do you hang it or have it secured in some way. I read on another post that you don't use the bowl and just let it fall on the ground correct?
    • I have one up off the ground on spare bricks (about a foot high) and that feed just drops onto the ground, the other one is on a few bricks about 4 inches off the ground and uses the bowl. It's always best to keep them off the ground (cleaner and drier) and to make sure they are in an area that won't get wet or direct sunlight.
  • Have you tried scare tape for the birds?
    It seems to be working for my bird problem.
    You can get it a plant nurseries.
    Hang it near the food where the sun will hit it and the breeze can blow it. It scares sparrows but not grackles or chickens.
    • Just a quick update. I have been using the scary tape for a few weeks now and it has made a huge difference. Thanks for the suggestion I had never heard of it before.
    • Thank you for the information. I have seen these before. Have you had any experience in training chickens to use it?

If you think I could get my chickens to use it I would be very interested. How much would you sell one for?
    • No, I have never heard of scare tape. I will look for some.
  • Look for a programmable dog food feeder or cat food feeder. That may work.
This reply was deleted.