Replies

• My chickens had something that looked very similar to this shortly after I got them, they also sounded as if they had colds and if you opened their mouths they looked as if they had thrush. I asked my Mexican neighbors who have a bunch of chickens what it was and what I should do. They never told me what it was. I'm not sure if they even knew. They told me what they did with theirs, who had the same thing a week earlier, was gave them shots of antibiotics. I had no idea where one would give a chicken a shot so I asked about it at the feed store. They sold me a package of powder called Duramycin-10 which is tetracycline and is mixed in their drinking water. What I did was mixed it a bit stronger then directed and used an eyedropper and administered it myself to be sure they all got a good dose as well as putting it in their drinking water and it did the trick. I can't afford to take each of my $3 chickens to the vet and am not sure if there is even one around here who knows how to treat one. When my neighbors goat neeed a c-section they had a terrible time finding a vet that had the knowledge to do so. Over the years I have learned to doctor my chickens myself. I have used the antibiotics I spoke of, food grade Diatomaceous Earth and everyday household products such as neosporin, preperation-H, honey, etc. I have treated my chickens for illnesses, prolapse, bumblefoot and dewormed them. I also had a rooster that couldn't use a leg for several weeks and healed completely. The internet is the most wonderful learning tool ever! Try answering your chicken questions at www.backyard chickens.com

• Fowl Pox most likely, there are both wet and dry versions. Google a bit to see which one you might have. Dry fowl pox it seems to run it's course and clear up on its own. Spread by mosquitos, pretty common.

This reply was deleted.