Treadle Feeder

Hello All!

Our woodworking teacher has built us a lovely treadle feeder for our flock and we set it up last week.  So far the girls have not actually stepped onto the tread (?) portion of the feeder, so I put a rock on it to hold it open.  They don't seem to be "getting it"...  Any suggestions?  We thought about setting up a video for them to watch or importing a trainer hen to teach them; Maybe we need smarter chickens?? ;)  Thanks for your suggestions!

Miss Flowers

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• As Chris said, putting grain on the shelf where they step. Also as Chris said, it must be weighted correctly so they can open it easily (check with something that weighs about half of the weight of your smallest chicken).   I took away their other feed sources, put lots of feed on the treadle step, and put the treadle in a place where they had to step onto it to reach the feed.  I also held & petted my most friendly hen on the step until she took a nibble.  All 6 were proficient before the end of the 3rd day.
    • Thanks Michele,

I think we probably have not calebrated the step counterweight very well; I am going to school today and will see how things are going. I am pretty sure no one has done anything except put a rock on the tread to hold it open!! I dont know how much hens weigh!!  Ours are not very tame and I am sure they wont allow themselves to be picked up; our smallest (kind???) are two that are half the size of the rhode island red and americauna and none of them look particularly fat...  Geez, this is turning out to be a trial! No one else really pays much attention to these kind of details except me and I am only at school on tues and wed. I will discuss with the guy who built the feeder and see what he thinks.

Wish us luck!! Thanks again,

Miss Flowers

• Show them...demonstrate it every morning for them.

They are so smart they'll pick it up quickly.

• Thanks,

I wish I was there every morning, but my health does not permit...  If these were "personal" chickens it would be much easier!! As it is, they are tended to by the school children each morning; not that they dont care or try to do what's right, it's just that they do things the "kid" way. Know what I mean?  I do think you're right about how smart the girls are tho, they are awesome!!

Miss Flowers

• You know, our ducks were marines and I think that's why the hens are so skinny now! ;)
This reply was deleted.