Treadle feeder nightmare

I bought a treadle style feeder at western ranchman and I'm so frustrated. I tried following the directions it came with and the chickens are terrified of it. The treadle is too small my girls can eat the food off either it or the lid without touching it. If they accidentally touch is they run away because it scares them. I tried propping it open to get them used to it and they still wont step on the treadle they only eat from the sides where they don't have to stand on it. Finally I blocked it partially open but also blocked them from eating from the sides at least I thought I had but they either won't eat at all now because they step on the treadle it moves they run away or they stretch themselves in all sorts of weird ways to get the food from the side anyway. I've slowed it as much as I can for the speed of the lid coming down and still they are too scared of it. I'm about ready to try recouping some of my money and selling it on craigslist. Anyone have any ideas how to make my chickens eat from this thing? My husband is suggesting we throw it away, learn our lesson and cover the run with bird netting to keep the wild birds out.

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I have a bucket for worms in my kitchen & haven't had a problem with fruit flies. Do you bury the new stuff you put in your box? Or put some dried stuff on top, like onion skins, newspaper, etc? That helps a lot with flies.

• I've had them back there for over a year, through last summer and they are fine.  They slow down a lot in the winter.  Just make sure they are never in direct sun.

• Wild Birds Unlimited sells freeze dried meal worms, which I find more convenient and the chickies seem to love them just as much, or you should be able to find live ones at most pet stores (petco, petsmart..) or bait shops, or places that sell fishing stuff like Bass Pro, etc.  They love earthworms too, which you might be able to find at a nursery or I've even seen them at Whole Foods. 

• Yeah, I had the same problem. Here is the interesting solution that one of the folks at western had me do. Stop feeding them until they figure out how to use it. You will have some po'd girls, but it is better than waiting a month. I would go out there and make sure they knew I was there and I would make sure they saw and tasted the food. It took our petrified 3 hens about 5 days. They were almost walking the fences and making tons of noise, but once one figured out, they all followed. Good luck.
    • I have stopped feeding them other than from the new feeder. I've been at it for 8 days, today I was worried they'd get sick since they haven't eaten in at least two days. So I went out and stepped on it for them, they flocked to it. I let them eat a little then let it close and they still wouldn't open it to get food. I ended up propping it open today. We shall see, I'm going to try a little longer but I'm not going to starve them for two days again, it just feels wrong to go that long.

• Mine were terrified at first too.  They would run half way across the yard when it came down, but then over time they ran away less and less and eventually they got used to it and now they all use it.  (I have 4 hens)  I think it took them about a month or so, so don't give up yet!  One thing I did was put extra good treats in there (like corn, their fave), then held it partially open with my foot for a minute or two while they ate so it wouldn't slam down if they stepped away.  Good luck. 

Judy

• The treadle feeder scared the crap out of my chickens at first. I thought they would figure it out no problem. I was wrong you have to leave it propped open to get them used to it. It will take a couple of weeks. Then you graudually let the lid get lower and lower. I did it by putting a stake under the arm. When you want the lid to get lower you just pound the stake further into the ground. You have a good feeder I bought mine from the same place. You have to train your chicks to use it. Patience ,patience, patience before you know it your chicks will be stomping the crap out of that feeder. I"m pretty sure the person that built your feeder is a member here they have even better advice than I do. You'll love your feeder in a month it will keep all the other animals in the neighborhood out of your chicks feed. Before you put it un CL I'll give you $20 bucks for it.

• Hubby has a good idea. But don't toss it...set it up on CL or return it to the store...customer satisfaction with product ought to count for something.

This reply was deleted.