Sick chicken

One of my ladies looked ill from heat stroke and I thought she was better after hydrating her with some watermelon. She just lays there now and I am not sure if she is eating or drinking. Any suggestions? Should I seperate her from the flock? Thanks for any suggestions.

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Sorry for your loss. This time of year is so rough for hens and they are pretty fragile birds. Especially older hens. We use large terra-cotta saucers (like the ones you use under huge pots) raised up a bit on cinder blocks. We change out the water each day, and you could add some ice in there too. They take turns soaking their feet in the water, it is the only thing we do to help with the summer heat but our coop area is under a huge shade tree too. We didn't like the thought of having water all the time on the coop with misters, wet poop can cause it's own issues. 

Also, another thing to be sure NOT to do is feed your chickens scratch this time of year, esp. corn. It heats up in their crops and can cause sour crop which isn't fun to deal with and can eventually lead to death. Too much bread can do the same thing too. We try and keep treats to a minimum during the hottest months, though watermelon is a great pick-me-up for a heat stressed hen, just not too much. 

• Thank you for your feedback. She died. I am not satisfied with my mister so I appreciate your suggestion.
    • Judith, so sorry for your loss.  Are you using a wading pool for the girls?  Mister's are sort of okay as a supplement, but getting their lizard feet in water is best for cooling.  That and natural shade.

This reply was deleted.