Sick chicken

We have four hens. Sunday morning we found one of our hens (about 2 years old) under a bush laying flat with her legs straight out behind her. We thought she was dead but she was breathing. Her face was covered with ants and there was a membrane over her eyes.

We washed off the ants and brought her in the house in our rubbermaid brooder. We mostly thought we did this so she could die more comfortibly. We did give her food and water. By the evening she was holding her head up but legs where still straight out.

All day Monday she seemed a little more alert and started eating but still couldn't stand. We took her out to clean her up a little and sat her in with her legs under her but she didn't seem to have any control over them.

This morning (Tues) she is standing.

She had seemed fine Saturday afternoon. Any thoughts on what happened? Was it the heat? Think she will survive?

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• No wading pool any more. I used to put one out for them but they didn't like it, same with misters. We have some chickens that are 4 yrs old so they have been in our yard for a long time. They are free range in a very sheltered area with lots of shade and never SEEM heat stressed.

Never thought of a scorpion. We do have a lot of them. I go out every night with a black light and kill any I find. But I had always heard that chickens eat scorpions so I didn't realize they were a danger to them.

Thanks for the replies.

• Roxanne, as you may have noted if you followed the thread - they do indeed eat them, but they can still get stung, and your girl's symptoms sound like scorpion or other venomous bite.  Hope she is doing better.

• Yes I have done some googling and that is exactly what it sounds like, but without this thread it never would have occurred to me.

She is standing and eating but mostly sitting. I took the lid off the brooder she is in and she hasn't left it yet. I don't know if it is better to slip her in the coop at night or just let her free range and join the rest.

• I would want to watch her for at least another day or so.  If she is still weakened, the others may take advantage, then slip her in at night, when she seems to be standing and moving around more normally.

• Thanks, sounds like good advice.

It is so funny because out of the blue the day before I was think how we had never lost a chicken and then we walk out and find this. I guess I jinxed them.

• Happenstance like that does feel like some kind of negative vib, I'm sure - you are helping her and that is what a good caretaker does :-)

• Donna's comment about a scorpion sting is in line with many other experiences noted on the site here.  It sounds like she is getting better, but you still want to monitor her.

If it was the heat besides what you are doing for her, the routine question is - do they have a wading pool to cool off in?

See a discussion at this thread:

http://www.phoenixpermaculture.org/forum/topics/chickens-and-scorpi...

• We had that happen about a year ago with one of our girls. We found her lying down and her lower half was paralyzed. We brought her in and propped her up by straddling her over a towel and supporting her on both sides with other towels. We gave her electrolytes because she wouldn't eat. By the end of the day she was paralyzed fully except her head. We kept on with the electrolytes and yogurt. Over the next few days she gradually got her movement back, starting at the top and moving down. During that time she laid an egg and pooped regularly, so I knew some things were still working.

Ours free range, so when we re-introduced her we did it in the morning and by the time they went to roost all was well. She's been a great, healthy, good layer ever since.

I figured it was either a scorpion or she ate something that had a bad mold on it. I don't think it was the heat, since it was true, temporary paralysis. I'd guess the same with yours. I'm so glad she's recovering!

• We had the exact same scenario a few weeks ago. I placed her in the shower stall and dipped her beak in water several times per day. It took her about 3 days to have control. I just assumed that she got stung by a scorpion. 

The worst part was trying to reintroduce her to the flock, that took several more days.

Hope she completely recovers.

Donna

This reply was deleted.