Replies

• Is it possible to (humanely) keep Rexes outdoors here, or is that cruel? I've seen people pen chickens and rabbits together, but not in our climate.
    • why would it be any more cruel to keep rex rabbits outside than any other breed of rabbit ? as long as they are shaded and kept cool they should be ok
    • Don is absolutely right about rabbits needing to be kept cool. My thought is, it is not possible to keep ANY breed of domestic rabbit outdoors during our summer unless adequate accommodation can be made to protect them from the heat.

Unfortunately, the rabbit's weak point in our area is its incredible sensitivity to heat. Rexes and Brazilians are purported to be more heat tolerant than other breeds (which is why we have them), but that tolerance isn't anywhere near enough to endure our summers unprotected. When temps get above 85 or so, they MUST HAVE cooling. Our house is evap cooled and our rabbit area (which has a very shaded northeast exposure) takes advantage of the air that is vented as well as the cooler microclimate in that location; it is enclosed in the summer but more open in the winter.I know people who bring their bunnies in during the summer and let them stay outdoors when the temps cool, and it works for them. Others, like us, have made accommodations for their rabbits' need for cooling during the summer.

• Keeping diverse breeds around is part of permaculture. While I assure you that I would be one of the first people in line at the pound for a house pet, my livestock are all purchased (or bred by me), and I sometimes breed and sell them to others that want a local source for birds. Rabbits are in a gray area between livestock and house pet. Meat bunnies are the same bunnies that you see in the pet stores. Also, sometimes rabbit breeding is an accident. It only takes about 2 seconds... anyway, in a rambling way I guess I'm saying it might be a good idea to slow down a little. Maybe someone wants rabbits for their awesome manure, or meat... and microlivestock is the right place for the post :)
    • Thank you :) Rabbit manure is indeed truly awesome! I didn't think there would be objection, since the description on this group specifically names rabbits as one of the microlivestock.
  • I find this post somewhat offensive. The thought of "raising" animals for profit is wrong.

Consider that in Maricopa County alone, an average of 2000 pets (dogs, cats, rabbits, horses, hampsters, rats, mice, guinea pigs) are euthanized EACH WEEK! Isn't permaculture about sustaining?

Maybe consider adopting an already "unwanted" pet rather than breeding more unwanted lives.
This reply was deleted.