Rabbits for meat

Is anyone raising rabbits for meat?  I ued to raise them  for meat and fur as a kid.  Here in Phoenix where heat can be an issue.  I see lots about chickens but not rabbits.  I am interested in finding

Giant Chinchilla Rabbits.

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• So what is your purpose.  Are you breeding for meat?  or to sell as pets.  It is hard to find a good Doe of Breeding age however not impossible.  I would check The yahoo group most of the local breeders check in there.

Do you have a buck thats ready to breed???

• Thank you Chris I was handling him as you described above holding him like his mother and holding his back legs. he was better today have pulled out the gloves thou as I got razored pretty good the day I bought him. His friend is fine and I think the one that scratches has not been handled as much. I think the holding and talking to him is helping. They are growing very fast and meet me at the door when I come to feed. They really like thier food. I am feeding a pellet feed and put some timothy in thier hay holder.
    • Im looking to buy a new zealand doe that is of or near breading age.

Do you know of any/anyone?

• Did you ever find your Doe.  There was a New Zealand breeder @ the coconino county fair this weekend showing them.  She also Had californians.  carolannscows@aol.com s he does show but they are meat breeding rabbits.  All rabbits be they for meat or show should all be bred to the standards for that breed.  Regardless.  Commercial breeders keep to the standard if they want quality.  What you want to look for in a good New zealand is the following qualities.

General Body type for New Zealand.

The ideal Body type should exemplify meat producing qualities. It is to have well rounded hips.  well filled loin and ribs carying forward to combine shoulders and balance the rest of the body.  This is just a sentence from the standard of perfection for rabbits.  So every breeder even commercial breeders for meat should be following this or they would not have good meat rabbits if they are using this breed.  Keep the standard in mind when shopping for New Zealands.  The ones I saw at fr looked good.  Also remember to purchase the best rabbit you can afford. A 10 Dollar rabbit costs a much to feel as a better quality purebred.

• yes if you check with the Arizona Rabbit and Cavie Breeders association they have a list of local breeders.  What are you looking for?  Do you want a purebred with a pedigree?  My suggestion would be for you to start with the best stock you can afford.  Also there is a local Yahoo group  Azbunnyswap that has all sorts of breeders.  Then there is a show this weekend in  Scottsdale at the Jewish community  Center there should be a breeder there.  If you decide to buy make sure you rabbit is not sneezing or have a runny nose or matted paws.  did you get yourself a Buck???
  • hello all! After finding this group about a month ago via google, I've finally gotten the courage up to pop my head in and say hi. We've been raising rabbits here in Mesa for about 2 years now. We raise them in our back yard. We have a huge ash tree that shade the back yard and they get frozen 2 liter bottles twice a day. They're making it through the heat just fine. So far we've raised english spotted and new zealands, though we just got our first flemish giant doe. Anyway, just wanted to say I'm very glad to see there are others in the valley interested in the same thing I am!
    • Hi Sara! Welcome! What color Spots do you raise? You showing too?
    • Our Spotted doe was a black and white. She passed away (and went into the freezer) about a month ago. All of her offspring were black/white spotted or solid black. Currently we have a silver flemish doe and two new zeland does (silver and tan) who will be breeding toward the end of the year. Looking forward to having thier first litters around october and december, respectivly. The only pure bred bun we have is the flemish, and one of her ears droops. (I think the orginal breeder broke it. he used to handle the kits roughly by the ears) and she would be disqualified. I've head the arguments about only breeding pure stock, regardless if you are showing or just for back yard meat.. but sometimes the crosses work out better. 'specially when you aren't planning on selling or showing.
    • All depends on the crosses really. Breeding pure does give you a good idea of what to expect. It's a shame Flemish are so slow growing. We had some excellent meat rabbits from our Checkered Giants, but had the best from our satins and silver martens. good luck with your buns. I really miss raising rabbits. It was like a marriage... 17 years long!
    • so I have started with two new zealand bucks to raise for Chris Byers class. If i can do the butchering I will go forward from there. I like the new zealands but would like to find a pair of
      silver foxes. They are fun but one of the little guys is a kicker/scratcher and the other Day he gave me a little bite. I am handling them daily to make it easier for all of us in the long run. I have one of those portable little dog playpens i like tp turn them loose in to get excersize. They are indoors until it cools off.
This reply was deleted.