R.O.U.S.es Or Rodents of Unusual Size

Also known as Patagonian maras or cavies or Patagonian hares, these guys are the second largest rodent, relatives of capybaras and guinea pigs. Wiki has a good article on them http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patagonian_Mara or just google them for other info. I got a mated pair from a gentleman in Queen Creek about a year ago. They are relatively easy to care for, but they do dig burrows. The breeder said that he could sell the bottle fed males for $300 as exotic pets. Typically he did not sell females.

From the research I did, they seemed like they would be a perfect urban homesteader's meat source. They are desert adapted, and don't require cooling in the summer like rabbits do. Their grown weight can be between 25 to 35 lbs, and they are hunted in Argentina for meat and fur. With supplemental feed, there can be multiple litters a year. The parents can raise the babies or they can be hand raised. The first baby was born here in early January. I am not sure exactly when, nor was I ever able to catch her, so she grew up completely wild. Her, we think, it is very challenging to tell the sex of a running mara. The second litter of three was born approximately 3 weeks ago. I was able to catch these babies about 10 days ago. The runt died after a few days, but the other two are happy and healthy in the house, being bottle fed. I saw the male patiently convince the female to accept him maybe 2 or 3 weeks ago.

So now that I have some stock to start with, wanted to see if anyone is interested in joining this experiment. Really need outside blood lines, this group has been line bred too long. I'm hoping that I can trade the two that I am bottle feeding for two unrelated animals. I would really like one or two pairs placed with livestock people, so we can start breeding unrelated pairs to sell to our community. I would like to get some of my investment back, but that could be over time, in barter, or ? It would be good if the breeders agreed on a consistent lower price to Permaculture homesteaders.

Thoughts, questions, interest?

DSCN1094.JPG

DSCN1093.JPG

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Very interesting idea. Two main questions before I'd be jumping on board. 1. How do they taste? 2. How are they for breaking down the carcass? (Rabbits are easy but what about these guys?) 

• Erica,

Very good questions!  Maybe I should think about a cavy cook and potluck for those who are interested.

• Not a bad idea, but I'd even just take your opinion on the taste and process of breaking down the animals for meat. Are they similar in structure to a rabbit?

• I LOVE what your post's title is referencing. :)

• Lisette,

I am interested in your fascinating idea.  I want to raise rabbits, but am most concerned about keeping them cool through the summer.  So I like the idea of raising a more heat tolerant animal--especially if it meets my particular needs.  Perhaps we can discuss the possibilities over the phone, e-mail, in person? 

• Here are pics of the adults taken tonight.

DSCN1107.JPG

DSCN1102.JPG

https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/5021750066?profile=original
    • Lisette- I just saw this on Craigslist.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/grd/3230241596.html

Maybe that's the answer to the breeding problem? Or is that someone you worked with before already...?

• Sigma,

This is the man I got mine from, so same blood lines.  BTW, thought you wanted to come meet them, did I not reply to your request?  Memory, I need a new one.

• You did and we were pleased to find out we're practically neighbors, but I don't think we got down to brass tacks of when and where. Which is ok, because I got caught up in the start of the semester. But next weekend should be good for me if it is for you! I'll send you a message! :)

• Lisette,

I've also been considering rabbits and these maras are really interesting! I'll keep my eyes open and see if I can get a hold of some other maras. It'd be a great experiment. The hand raised ones you have, what is their temperament like?

-Sigma
This reply was deleted.