Pickled Quail Eggs

I had to switch from chickens to quail because of noise complaints from neighbors.  Quail make no noise, and I find I really enjoy the eggs. 

I just put a batch of quail eggs to soak in a pickling solution of apple cider vinegar and beet juice.  I will be adding cloves and cinnamon sticks and soaking until the end of the month.  I hope they are tasty.

So far, I have found that food eaten vs food produced, the quail are amazing.  They start laying at 6 weeks, and I keep them in a large pen with only 4 birds.  I have yet to clean that pen and I've had the birds for 3 months.  So, it looks like I should rake it out a bit but not like a chicken coop would after 90 days, that is for sure.  Low maintenance and high production quail are winning my respect.  And fertilizing my palm trees.

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Wow, I'm really interested in getting in on this Quail deal! Especially being the new neighbor on the block I don't want to cause a stir with any possible hen noise. @ rachel, do you have any hatchlings left?

• I do, I will friend request and PM you. :)

• I am interested in quail. Where can I purchase some?
    • I have some scheduled to hatch this week if you're interested.
  • I feed my quail organic chicken crumble, either chick starter or layer crumble works.  They also get kitchen scraps and yard cuttings.  They love grass and sprouted bird seed.  I have been treating the eggs just like chicken eggs and I never hear more than a tiny peep out of my birds.

They seem healthy and fat, and I have made minimal effort toward the care of the birds.  I'm completely converted, but I will always love chicken personalities.  They took more work than quail on many levels.  I haven't had to treat them for anything either.

• I agree! They are the perfect choice for people that can't have chickens, and often for people that can. ( I have both :) ) The VPA will have a quail class coming up in about a month for others that are interested.
    • I will look for the class, Rachel.  What are you feeding your quail?
    • I feed them organic chick starter, sometimes supplemented with bugs or hard-boiled chicken eggs and free-choice oyster shell.

• That's awesome. What are you feeding them? Where did you get them and how much did they cost?
This reply was deleted.