partially paralized duckling

I just wanted to share with everyone an experience I had this week because I do not know how well known it is.  A few mornings ago, I went outside to let the chickens and ducks out of the coop and I noticed one duckling could not stand up, much less walk.  This came as a total surprise as everyone looked fine the night before.  After taking her to the vet, he said that it was likely one of two things:  exposure to a toxin or sting or selenium deficiency.  Both the vet and I think it was more likely the latter.  Fortunately, she is doing just fine now.  Interestingly, she was the only one affected. 

Our soil in this region is deficient in selenium so it is essential that feed or water is supplemented with selenium and vit E (they work together for better absorption).  However, you must be very careful in supplementation because selenium is a micronutrient and is toxic in high doses.  When the vet mentioned the deficiency, I suddenly remembered a friend nearby who told me about a goat she took on that was suffering from partial paralysis and discovered it was a selenium deficiency (the goat, after treatment, also was just fine).  She now ensures she gets selenium fortified feed for her goats.

I bring this experience up because when I first researched a possible cause (no vets that I know  sees ducks at 6 a.m.), the only suggestions that I found were Merak's (sp?) and botulism, which freaked me out (and I had forgotten about my friend's experience).  No mention of selenium deficiency.  Animals that rely heavily on local pasture/crops are more likely to have this problem because how much selenium is in plant material depends on how much is in the soil.  My chickens and ducks are free range with some grain/seed supplementation, so I have looked up ways to supplement with selenium and vit e.  Because they are free range on a rather large area, I am experimenting with my own seed and grain mix rather than just relying on a commercial feed (although right now they do get some commercial feed). 

Has anyone else had this experience?

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• It's been awhile since I've had ducklings, so I would double check on forums for an exact amount, I remember it just being "a little" sprinkled in with the food. Brewer's and Nutritional yeast are similar enough that for this purpose (niacin/selenium) they are interchangeable. (Feel free to double check on that) I have always fed nutritional yeast because I could get it at sprouts.

@Catherine- Ducks and chickens have such different requirements that it is unwise to keep them together. The ducks end up muddying up everything for the chickens and they can carry diseases that affect the other but not themselves. Of course it's REALLY IMPORTANT :) to not feed ducks medicated feeds.  Waterfowl feed is different than chicken feed, but not too different. I would recommend Storey's guide to raising ducks by Dave Holderread, I can't find my copy right now, so I don't remember how much of this it covered, but I do remember it being very helpful (and available at the Phx public library).

• Hi Rachel,

Thanks for the feedback, Rachel.  I know over the years I read about not having chickens with goats and goats with chickens - the area I had for my crew was somewhat limited although plenty of room for the small amount of each critter I had.  I must have been lucky (and never fed medicated feed) because all my animals were healthy and hearty.  The biggest problem I had was more funny the problematic.  The ducks moving through the area was like the Queen Mary moving through the harbor - everyone gave way to them, although they were not aggressive.  I will have to congitate on this more and we weigh the idea of a few hens chicken or duck. Thanks again.

• This is one reason you are supposed to add nutritional/brewers yeast to duckling food. Mostly it's to prevent a niacin deficiency but it also has selenium. Unless you are using feed specifically for ducklings (which I haven't seen at feed stores around here) it's pretty important to add it to prevent leg/wing disorders.
    • We have helped several of our ducklings make quick recoveries from weak leg with brewers yeast.

• Hi Rachel,

We are considering getting a both ducks and chickens (I think I mentioned the chickens to you a while back).  Do the mature ducks need the yeast?  When I had my muscovies - I had not heard about this, they ate poultry laying crumble and a corn/sunflowerseed/barley mix I gave to them all.  I never observed any problems, but K. Neil's experience certainly has me wanting to be careful.

• I have noticed in my research that some places say to add the yeast, but I have never seen an explanation for why--now I do.
    • Do you recommend one over the other?  I am adding nutritional yeast now but was wondering about the comparison to brewer's yeast.  I think nutritional yeast tastes better but I do not know if the ducks can taste the difference :]  Also, can you recommend an amount?
  • Hi K. Neil,

I have not had the experience but thank you for posting this very helpful information.  I know about copper deficiency in goats, but had not known of anyone experiencing the selenium in livestock or poultry.  Your post will help in the future I'm sure.

• Not me but it's sad that we have to clean, alkalize and re-mineralize our water.  I do give my family (and my chickens) alkaline water with minerals and probiotics added. 

Like any living thing, your duckling may lack the ability to uptake what he's missing, perhaps indicated by the health of identically treated hatchlings?

• I think that because she was the only one that, yes, she is just less able to uptake what she needs.  Or maybe she needs more.  In any case, they are all now getting the supplementation.
This reply was deleted.