outdoor rabbits

I have just started gardening for Faith North Montessori in Phoenix and we have two adult rabbits that are sheltered outdoors. They have been in residence there for some time and seem to be fine, but I am concerned about their general care and especially feeding. Can someone out there recommend a good resource or give me some tips on what is best for them? 

We have been given a bag of Horse alfalfa pellets... this doesnt seem like an appropriate food source...????

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Country acres in a gold bag from Stock Shop is the best. Timothy hay should be made available at all times. Rabbits should be inside-it's too hot for them. Any changes in food should be made very slowly~their digestive systems are delicate.
    • Thanks Susan,
      I thought it would be too hot also, but these bunnies have never been kept inside to my knowledge. I doubt the school will move them inside at this point. Their cage is in the shade and they are let out for the school day... The horse pellets are definitely a no go then? Also, the kids put out leftover veggies from the kitchen, but I dont think the rabbits eat them too much. WHere is the best place to put food like this when the rabbits roam free all day?
    • The alfalfa pellets make great plant food/mulch! My roses love them. I use about a coffee can per plant.
This reply was deleted.