I had Senator David Farnsworth in my home twice now. Once to see my backyard farm and another time to meet with 14 of some of my most influential friends.He is teaching us how to make the changes necessary to regain our right to produce food in our backyard. This includes chickens, rabbits, miniature livestock. Now matter what city in Arizona. 

We were given the challenge to bring as many of our friends to a meeting Saturday October 19th at 7:00. It will be at the Shoppers in Chandler on Queen Creek Rd and Alma School Rd. The senator will be there to lead us through how to take our frustration and turn it into focus. The focus will be to move on each City as a group from all over the state. He will lead the State level and alert us of each step of who and when to call/email. 

No matter what city you live in, please come and bring all your friends.    

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Kelly,

I understand that you and I may have talked to different people. The one that I spoke with said that the city allows the inspectors to use their own discretion when responding to a call, depending on what they find.It is t rue that there are always those who spoil it for everyone.  The tougher laws are there to be used, but are not always used. I am working with a great group of people who want to change the laws for everyone in the state. Not only in Phoenix. Let's all band together and be good ambassadors of what a well kept urban farm should be and continue to fight for the property rights and freedoms for everyone.  

http://find.It/
    • Want to get some insight on this, look at what has/is happening in Detroit!

We in Phoenix are on the same path as Detroit it just is not here yet, but it is coming. :(

Once you understand how the government is criminalizing its citizens, by all manner of means, it will give you a better understanding of what is happening. As long as people continue to think government is a friend, will take care of you, is more informed, better at making important decisions, it will only become worse and worse over time! :(

By making you a criminal, it is easier to levy you for more monies now and in the future, because it is part of taking your voice away by marginalizing you as a human being!

So it is not a suprise that the few are able to control the many, it is only a suprise so few understand just how this has happened and why giving control to government makes all of us poorer as human beings. :(

• Please come to the meetings, Chris. People from all cities are coming together to work for freedom to raise chickens on their own property. United we stand.

• Oh also, I found that it will illegal for the City of Phoenix to inspect your property for chickens on an anonymous tip.  They person has to leave their name.  So if you are sent a letter then call or ask to see the person that filed the complaint.  You can go and talk to that person to see if there is some remedy that you could provide to work things out with them.

Again the City of Phoenix is in violation if the request is anonymous if they send you a letter or inspect your property based on that anonymous request.

• I wish all the cities encouraged neighbor to neighbor communication, and I wish they all disallowed anonymous tattle-telling. Even our constitution says we have the right to face our accuser.

Funny, I thought Phoenix was pretty easy on chickens. They seem to be everywhere.

• Phoenix has some very restrictive policies.  The policy that is most restrictive is that you have to get the documentation notarized for your signatures.  Most neighbors are willing to sign the documentation, but not take the time to go get the documents notarized.  Honestly, I am busy and I might be the same way.  So what that does is it forces the person to get rid of their chickens if someone complains.

My problem is one of the houses it a rental.  I have had no issues with anyone in the past 13 years until the new person moved in in September.  Within a week of moving in she called the City of Phoenix to complain about the chickens.  Her problem, she said, was that the chicken are causing too many wild birds to show up in my yard. (not hers).  And she does not like that.  Well the birds are showing up and eating the grass, and it has nothing to do with the chickens.  But it is typical of someone that is Codependent to worry more about other than themselves and overstep their boundaries.  Which she is very codependent.

So now that she has done that the City is saying that I am required to get a notarized signature from her to have the chickens since she is a new occupant they can revoke your ability to have chickens.  Thus the problem.

However, as is also typical with bureaucracy, they try to make their own laws.  In my case, they are misapplying the law and the City Charter.  Luckily, I got good advice and read the charter.  The City is trying to say that I have to have her signature because my lot is less than 10,000 square feet.  This is not the case per the charter.  The charter says if you are killing the chickens for food on the property then this is the case.  I am not.  I am just getting the eggs.  The law that does apply is the coup has to be 80 feet away from their property.  This is ok, because I can do this.  It will be 85 feet away.

All this for 3 chickens!  (I don't want free healthcare, but it would be nice to have free mental illness care for codependent people!)

• Oh... I need to correct this post.  I am a little wrong.  I did not read far enough.  There are two ordinances regarding chickens in Phoenix: 8-7 and 8-10.  They cited me for 8-7a, but it should have been 8-10.

8-7

http://www.codepublishing.com/az/phoenix/html/Phoenix08/Phoenix0807...

8-10

http://www.codepublishing.com/az/phoenix/html/Phoenix08/Phoenix0810...

Looks like I will need to find a home for my 3 chickens.  Would anyone like them?  I have a 1.5 year old Speckled Sussex, a 4-5 month old Australorp,  and a 4-5 month old Silver Laced Wyandotte.  The only thing that I ask is to keep them for layers and not for killing for the meat.  They are pets.

I guess you can't be poor and have rights in Phoenix!  You have to be a wealthy land owner!  Hmmm... sound familiar.

• Ha! I know what you mean. Too many people think they should have the right to control other people.

It seems like the landowner is the person who should be signing the documents, not the renter. And maybe you should have to sign a document for the landowners giving them permission to have goofy people on their land. :)

• Chickens in Chandler (revisited).I have been talking to David de la Torre. He said that if we want the attention of the City Council on this issue, we need to show up in bigger numbers than we did this summer. I have about 100 people that SAY they will be there. But I am not counting my chickens before they are hatched (pun intended). It does not matter where you live, we just need bodies to show up and show support. We will speak during the period of time that is set aside for unscheduled agenda items to ask the  council to initiate a city amendment to the zoning code to allow Chandler residents to own backyard chickens. Please bring your friends to the city counsil chambers at 175 S Arizona Ave at 7:00.Let's get ready to ruuuumble!

• We'll be there!

This reply was deleted.