One of our ways of keeping our chickens cool.

I wanted to share this because it works on so many levels! I bought two plastic kitty litter bins and fill them with water every morning inside the coop. The chickens will stand around in the water almost all day, at least when they are not laying. Every evening I dump the water into a 5 gallon bucket and either pour it into my vegetable garden or one of our bushes. It is instant fertilizer!

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Great idea!  I have some shallow bird bath tops that I fill with a few inches of water.  Same thing........they stand in them and enjoy them a lot.  I just dump them in their coop as I don't have a garden close by.  And they still love digging in the wet dirt, so it kills two birds with one stone!  That doesn't sound so good when we are talking about chickens!  :-)  I also have a fan and I bought a mister that you hook up to a hose and they stay cool all day long.  I even have a fan on them when they roost when it's so darn hot and they are sitting there panting.  The fan is far enough away that it just moves the air around.  The coop is very open, but safe, as I can't imagine any chicken being able to survive this heat if they are enclosed without air flow.  I hear chickens do better in the cold than they do in the heat.  I love my girls!
  • I do the same with the one of my kitty litter bins, but I never thought about throwing the water in my garden... thanks!

• Hi Hettie,

Excellent idea and recycling!  I used a small blue plastic kiddie pool and also dumped the water in the garden.

• great idea thanks I really like the instant fertilizer.
  • Good thinking!
This reply was deleted.