Replies

• Hi Christina,

It is the seeds of Ipomoea species that are toxic, NOT the plants, flowers or roots (although the sap of I. alba can be irritating).  I would guess that everyone on this forum has eaten the tubers of Ipomoea batatas without knowing it, since these are the sweet potatoes so popular at Thanksgiving.  What many do not realize is that the leaves are also edible and delicious!

Here is a link to a list of prohibited, regulated and noxious weeds in Arizona: http://www.azda.gov/psd/quarantine5.htm.  As you can see, it includes "Ipomoea spp. -- Morning glory. All species except Ipomoea carnea, Mexican bush morning glory; Ipomoea triloba, three-lobed morning glory (which is considered a restricted pest); and Ipomoea aborescens, morning glory tree".  The reason for this regulation is that morning glories (or bindweeds as they are known in Europe) do have the potential to become naturalized here and can become entangled in farm equipment, causing extensive (and expensive) damage.  However, I have never heard of anyone being prosecuted for growing morning glories, and the seeds are widely sold in nurseries.  If you grow them in an area that does not have irrigation, the chances of naturalization are slim, especially if you prevent seed pod formation.

Animals seem to instinctively avoid poisonous plants, so if your chickens do not have direct access to the area and you can control seed pod formation, enjoy.  There is nothing like a fence of "Heavenly Blue"!

HL

• No!

1) They are considered a poisonous flower for humans vs. edible ones -- even though the toxicity might be low, I would not take a chance with the girls.

2) Morning glories are a banned plant in the valley.

Sorry, Christina.  My grandmother in NJ loved and grew them and they are a happy plant.

Consider Sunflowers if you want something showy - can be planted now through June or so and will be in bloom for about 8-10 months of the year.

• Hmm. I'm actually not sure about that. Datura comes to mind as well. Oleander seems to be fine, so I'm leaning towards them being okay, but I'd love to hear some voices on this too. :)

• Hi Rachel,

Oleander and datura also poisonous to humans and animals.  I realize some critters can eat things people can't but I would not want to take chances with pets and livestock. :-)

This reply was deleted.