Mean Chicken

Okay here's the deal. I'm tired of getting pecked, my daughter now won't even go in the chicken run with me because of it. There is one chicken and I think she's the one who is laying right now that attacks us every time we go in. She broke skin on me today on my leg and I'm sorry to say my reaction was to kick her away before I thought about it. She doesn't appear to be hurt but I'm so sick and tired of being attacked. Is there anything I can do other than make chicken stew? I'll do it just to get back to a peaceable time with my flock but it's a shame since I think she's the only one of seven laying right now. They are all pretty young though. They are all around 4-5 months old.

Also a side note almost all my girls peck a little at me and I don't mind that, this is just down right vicious. She'll follow me around the run and coop to keep attacking me even. Worst part of all is that she used to be one of our sweetest girls. My daughter named her "buddy" and always used to be able to pet her. She's a black sexlink which I know are not the most docile but we have another that isn't this way at all. Our barred rocks are probably our next most frequent peckers, and the wyandotts never peck us.

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

•  Maybe she is just doing this since she has just started laying? Maybe she will calm down after a while and the others start laying?  Mine seem to peck when they're young but stop after laying becomes an everyday thing :)  You could always carry a squirt gun if you think you're being stalked, but then the chicken might not ever be as friendly again. Best of luck! 

This reply was deleted.