Looking for a GREAT home for my hens

We are moving out of state and are SO sad not to be able to take our well loved hens with us... I'm looking for a GREAT home, not an ok home, or even a good home, but a GREAT home for our girls.

We got our White Leghorn, (Snowy) and Rhode Island Red (Feathers) over a year ago as chicks. They are both awesome layers! Snowy is a machine, laying pretty much everyday; I think she took 3 days off to molt:) We got our two Ameraucana hens (Pickle & Dill) a few months after that and they have been laying since January. Dill lays a beautiful blue egg, and Pickle, a green egg.

We also have two Khaki Campbell ducks (Mama, & Juliet) that we got at the same time as our first hens. They both had just begun to lay when we got them. They are incredible layers as well!

They are all very sweet, and have been loved, held, and told how beautiful they are everyday. They all free range during the day and go into a large fenced area of the yard at night. They are all smart, (yes, I got smart ones:) but I never could teach them to roost properly. All four hens roost on the edge of the same pot. I know weird, but actually clean up is a breeze as the mess is mostly in the pot. I feed them some produce scraps every morning when I let them out of their fenced area. In the summer I used misters and dropped ice into the duckie pool and waterers. They all get along beautifully. Although, the Leghorn is in charge and if they all just keep that in mind there are no issues:) I would prefer to keep the chickens together, but I don't expect someone that doesn't have ducks to take them so, finding a separate home for the ducks would be fine. I would like them to go to someone that already has some ducks and the knowledge to care for them. The ducks can be quacky, especially in the morning. I live on a standard postage stamp lot in the city, but must be surrounded by cool people, because nobody has ever complained. You would need to know that you too are surrounded by duck lovers or have a larger yard. Feathers, the Rhode Island Red is a bit vocal in the morning as well. So, that's also something to consider...

Ok, I think that's about it. I know for most people they are reading this thinking we have lost our minds to care and do so much for our hens. We got them to have backyard eggs but, soon were in love. I'm hoping to find someone that will love them like we have, and will love them (and not as dinner) even when they stop laying. I'm not judging you if that's what you do, I'm just looking for a different type of home for them, that's all.

I will include their waterers, feeders, (pool for the ducks) etc.

If you can include some info or pics of your yard that would be great! post here or email me at farmerortiz@gmail.com ~Thank You Paula

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Paula,
    My wife Heidi and I would love to provide a loving home to all or some of your hens. We think of our hens as pets, and fresh egg providers, and we feel that their new home would be comparable to yours...a "forever" home. In addition to how they are cared for, we see that our chickens eat really well--we have a connection at a local independent restaurant which allows us to give our hens plenty of whole food scraps instead of processed food. Our hens free-range for much of the day. You can see photos of our chicken yard and hen house on my PPG page. Please consider us for your hens' new home, and let us know if you have any questions or concerns.

Sincerely,
    David and Heidi Kennedy
  • I would like to talk to you about your Campbells! I just had to put my Honey down last night.
    • Megan, email your phone number to me at farmerortiz@gmail.com. I'm sorry about your Honey... Sounds like this was meant to be for all of us. I look forward to chatting with you.

~Paula
  • Paula,
    I would love to talk to you about a new home for your girls. I currently have six, Gwinna , Lacey and Elssa , Tinny Tina, Racer girl, and Fluffy, (my two daughters named all of them). I have kept chickens for over 6 years now, and have raised chickens through school gardens, and taught urban chicken classes. I love my girls and so do my daughters. Your girls would have a great home with us. If you want to talk more, give me a call or e-mail @ tstaas@cox.net.
    Thanks,
    Tami Staas
This reply was deleted.