Looking for a FREE hen to add to my backyard group...

I've got two hens and would like to add another hen.  I am looking for a 6 month old hen. In addition,  I've heard of fighting amongst hens before and would like to know if there is a way to introduce a new hen in the least stressful manner possible for all parties.

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I have an americauna you can have. She is very sweet 1 1/2 years old or so and is still laying pretty much daily. I recently chicken sat for a friend that brought 4 hens over and she acclimated very quickly. She is my only hen I have left, and I want to start a new flock, so you can have her for free! I am at camelback and central. 

602-538-0457 if interested.

-Ben

• Thank you, Ben.  We live on Coronado and 15th Street but we can pick her up. 

I will call you in the morning as we need to build a little cage or something in order to follow Rachel's advise with the introduction phase.  

Our chickens are young.  One Naked Neck named Turkleton and one black hen named Bibi (I don't know what breed she is) and only the Naked Neck is laying.  They are less than a year old and a little feisty.  Rest assured that your chicken will be in good hands.  We let our chickens graze in our yard almost daily and have a great coop.  We enjoy them very much. 

Does she have a name?   

• Oh boy. I told my 7 year old about the plan and he is not really thrilled with letting Trixie go. I asked him to think about it overnight and told him she would be with other chickens, etc.... Call me in the morning and I'll give you an update. So sorry.
    • I completely and wholeheartedly understand.  It's no problem, whatsoever.  I definitely do not want to be the catalyst for a 7 year old's emotional trauma. 

Since Trixie is so good and tame, it might be possible to introduce a young flock without expelling Trixie from your yard.  I hope it works.

We've contacted someone who is selling chickens for $12/each and think maybe it might be best to purchase 2 young hens from the fellow and better their chances surviving the bullying they will receive from our feisty chickens. 

Thank you for considering us, though. 

• Does that person still have chickens? I would like to get 2 more hens. I have 2 that were born mid August and 1 has started laying. I would like to add the 2 more using the cardboard box method as well. I'd do the $12 each (cheap considering what I've invested so far!).
    • I've learned my lesson.  Cheap advertised chickens don't always come from sanitary, good homes.  I will refrain from giving you the phone number because I don't think this is a good place to buy chickens from.  There was one decent, healthy looking chicken and I took her home.  She's so docile and quite sweet.  We're in the process of introducing her to the two chickens we have now.
    • I did not get the cheap chickens. I saw an add for chickens over at Arrowhead area and will look at them during the weekend. The two hens I have now are so healthy and happy. I'd like to get two more but want to make sure they are all healthy and pleasant to each other. As always, good information on the site for us novices. The black hen is laying 5 eggs a week or so; the white one is squatting a lot, probably will be laying any day. She seems to be a week or so behind. They are very sweet andf seem to be 'good chicken friends'.
    • Awesome! I was just starting the process to figure out where she might go. She really is sweet, and tame. My boys like to pet her. :) If you want to wait until saturday, that would work too. I am returning the hens that I am sitting on Saturday. However, if you want to take her tomorrow that is fine too. Her name is Trixie.

-Ben

• Saturday is even better so that we can build or find a cage to temporarily house Trixie. 

Your boys are always more than welcome to visit her at any time. 

Best-

Cassy

• It is unlikely that you will find a free point of lay pullet as those are in pretty high demand (they usually sell for $15-$20 if you can find them). However, should you be so lucky, or decide to spring for one or two, here's the best way to do it-- keep the new bird(s) physically separated from the older ones but in a way that they can see and hear each other. If you have a wire dog crate or want to make temporary dividers out of chicken wire/hardware cloth those will both work. It usually takes about two weeks for them to get used to each other, sometimes less, sometimes more. It's always a better idea to introduce more or at least an equal number of new birds than you have old birds. (It would be better to introduce 2 new birds to 2 old birds than only adding one new bird) This helps to divide up the bullying. With only two older birds though this won't be as big of a deal. What will likely happen is that they will pick on the newer bird when she is allowed to join the older birds, but she will eventually be accepted, just on the bottom of the pecking order.
This reply was deleted.