Livestock Vacation Care Swap Idea

Hi Folks,

Recently a member posted about his search for goat breed recommendations.  Along with that request came the very important question about what he should do if they go on vacation.

If any of you came to that question AFTER you got goats, chickens, or other livestock and realized that getting out of town for a rest was now a very real challenge, then you can appreciate that it is a good question to ask FIRST.

So the idea in that post was:   could we have regional vacation swap care where 2 or more livestock owners take turns caring for each others livestock on a planned schedule (or even an unplanned emergency).

Here is my suggestion for consideration and comment:  regional means first divide the valley into some informal areas:  east, west, north, south and center.  We might need subgroups for this.

This has to be approached on some kind of fair and balance swap: someone with 15 goats, with 7 in milk has to be realistic in asking a single 2 goat owner to take care of their critters for 2 weeks.  The 2-goat owner may find it a fun challenge or decide they were being taken advantage of.

One of my goat-owning friends takes her milkers to another owner who gets to keep the milk for feeder use, while her non-milkers are taken care of my other family members.

That brings up elements of how the swap works. Does the care-giver go over to the other place, or does the vacationer take all their critters (or some) over to the care-giver?

Me personally:  I do not currently have any livestock although we are looking a getting a few hens or ducks for eggs.  I do not plan on having goats again (although I miss them) but might be interested in caring for a couple on my side of town (east) if this swap idea gets going.

What do you all think?

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Just joined Permaculture today!  Think this is a fantastic idea as I just came back from being away from home to find my plants on their last leg and the chickens without ANY water!  (That story I will save for another time!)  I have 8 but soon to be 7 chickens.  (One of our "hens"  started crowing last Friday & I am currently looking for a good home for a 4month old Delaware rooster!)

I am in north Phoenix - Cave Creek & Deer Valley Rd.

• Rhonda,

I have 16 chickens and in the same boat. I'm at Cave Creek Td and Tom Darlington Drive.  Not too far. Let me know if you need help.

Thanks,

Jeanette

• This is just awesome. So exciting to see- I think it's clear that a LOT of us have been in this predicament. I have unfortunately been without my flock for about a year now and I just moved into a beautiful new half acre lot :) and have the "bug" to get more chickens (and have thought a lot about goats too but don't know where to start, so I'm definitely up for learning if there are goat owners here who would like to teach!) But I'm also getting married this fall we've already had the "what would we do with the Chickens while we're on our honeymoon?" conversation! So this is very pertinent and a great question. My new place is near Cactus and Tatum, and I'd love to be a part of this! Thanks for getting this conversation started, Catherine!

• We would be interested, unfortunately I don't know everyone's areas but would assume that there aren't many around us. We live a 79th AVENUE & CACTUS. We have 3 hens currently, and 4 baby chicks. We would be willing to check in on hens / goats maybe more if you show us the ropes. Anyone over here in Peoria? I was considering asking the high school girl across the street if it came down to it haha. 

• I am moving to 75th and Glendale in the next few weeks and we will be doing the chicken thing ASAP(well, as soon as my hubby builds the coop) and more than likely the goat thing within a year.  I am also interested in the vacation swap idea. Having someone to watch and care for the animals has been the one thing really holding us back from getting goats and chicken.  Hopefully this will workout

• A wonderful idea, Catherine.

Bob & I tend to find people to watch the place, but it can be a challenge. When you get beyond dogs & cats, life does get more complex.

We need to define the regions, create lists of regional residents, and put together a guideline for courtesy.

....so has the family who have goats found someone to care for them?

• I am interested in vacation swaps. I have 4 chickens & live close to the Botanical Gardens. They have a treadle feeder and a watering system that lasts for almost a week without attention, but eggs need to be gathered.

I also go to a location near to Greenway & Tatum once or twice a week.

• Great idea...what about doing this as some kind of Phoenix (north/south/east/west regional) bartering database, where people can sign up for time to donate, or time needed?  That way people who want to plan vacations could look at the database to see who might be available to help out.

• Leslie that is a great idea, somewhere to start for sure!

• Thanks for starting this, Catherine! I have recently become a proud papa of 2 female muscovy ducks. They are a wonderful addition to my little backyard farm, but wow can they POOP! I'm having to clean out their pen at least every other day, and while it's not a problem now, it does not bode well for future vacation plans.  So, it would be great to find someone to do the vacation swap/ duck-sitting arrangement with.  I live in NE phoenix by Tatum & Cactus.  Would also love to meet up and share ideas with any other duck/chicken owners in the area.

This reply was deleted.