Just finished a Chicken/Turkey Feeder

Just finished a new feeder for my third coop section. The section for this feeder has 28 chickens, and 7 turkeys. These 35 birds are going through about 250 lbs of feed per month. At what point does it cease to be micro? Am I now a mini farm?

This feeder is 4' wide, over 2' tall, and over 2' deep.

5020426655?profile=original

2012-07-18_07-05-45_136.jpg

2012-07-18_07-07-26_859.jpg

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Very cool! 

• This is cool.  How much of your feed goes to wild birds do you think?  I know the birds get a lot of mine if I leave it out in the feeder. 

• I have three coops. The one this goes in is 160 square feet, and almost 8 feet tall. A few small birds are able to get inside, but I find they don't go too near the feeder without getting pecked at by the chickens. I wish we could allow our hens to be free-range, but we are right off the river bottom, so there are plenty of predators who would love a chicken dinner.

• Are you sure on the 160 square feet? I'm confused because I have a coop and run that is 180 square feet and I can't figure out how you could have 28 chickens and seven birds in the space I have. I currently have seven chickens in it and there is room to grow but I wouldn't want more than perhaps 12 in there I think. Between the floor space the two waterers take, the feeder, the nesting boxes, and roosting bars, once you add a person or two inside it feels okay but not huge.

• The coop is 8'x20'. Our chickens and turkeys are still growing. We are expanding the Turkey coop so we can move the 7 turkeys in with the adults. So the 160 sq ft coop will be for the 28 chickens. There are several roosters in that mix, and they are not currently fighting with each other. If they do, we will have to thin the flock.

• Wow, makes me wonder if I'm wrong about space in my coop and run, or is this just a coop, and they have a larger run space? Because what I have is 7.5 foot by 24 foot but my girls don't get to free range because of our dogs. Right now I have seven hens all mostly full grown. Three of them are gold lace wyandotts and if I understand correctly they will still grown a bit, but not a lot. They are already as big as my full grown barred rocks.

• Having them insidish, is much healthier and safer for them. Feeding all of the wild birds just invites disease into your flock, and it will happen sooner or later.  :(

Nice feeder. :)

This reply was deleted.