Is it okay to take the girls out during the day?

My chicks are now 9 days old and they're so much fun to watch. I was wondering if it's okay to put them out in the vegetable garden for a little while during the day when it's so warm. I know it's not the 90 degrees that I have them in the house, but it seems like it would be good for them to get some fresh air and play around in the cabbages. (I've taken them out twice for about 10 minutes each time, but I'm worried that I'm giving them a chill or something). Thanks for any insights!!!

5020384469?profile=original

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• DARLING GIRLS!!  We let our girls in the sun when it was 80 out.  We had them in a garden cart with card board in the bottom so we could wheel the group around as a whole and they would be protected.  We let them run, play and forage in our garden when it was SUNNY and 80 or more IF we were there supervising.  The books say not to because they don't have developed temperature regulation yet or something like that.  Direct sun & a thermometer would help you make the decision of >80 degrees.   It wasn't until we had our girls we knew where "not a peep out of them" came from...turn the lights out & they went silent...not a peep out of them.

• I don't think you're doing them any harm if you stick with short periods of time. They'll huddle if they get cold. The rule of thumb (if I recall correctly) is that you can reduce their temperature 5 degrees every week, so in a few weeks you can let them play longer periods on nice days. By then they may enjoy eating your cabbage, too. :)

This reply was deleted.