Hypothetical Rooster Question

I've been thinking about a rooster, but I really know nothing about doing that. There are plenty in my neighborhood, but my big question is, what would be a good one to get if I did?

Also how does this change my coop/run dynamic?

And lastly, where is a good place to get a known rooster? I don't want to buy a straight run and just hope.

Thanks a lot!

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Roosters are chickens with attitude. We have an accidental Delaware (he was supposed to be a she) who is nearing the age of crowing. So far he's been a good boy, but when the hormones kick in, his behavior will determine his destiny. I'm hoping he stays as good as he is because he's very pretty and he submits to me.

They do change the dynamics because their role is to be the protector of the flock. Hens know this, so they tend to look to him for leadership. Without a roo, they look to their people, so they can become more distant to people when a roo is around. If you introduce one, be sure to hold him a lot so everyone knows that you're still boss, and interact a lot with your hens as much as possible.

You also should have enough females to service him well. Usually he'll have a favorite or two, but the more the merrier. :)

• I have seven hens at the moment and the main reason I'd like a rooster is that, at $3-$4 a chick it's a bit expensive to raise chickens for meat. I don't plan on raising a lot of chicks, and none of my breeds are broody but I thought if I just let them be broody when/if they get that way I'd have meat chickens, and also a next generation of layers, although I don't even know how often I'd have to introduce new genetic material this way... I might be getting in over my head which is why this is all theoretical right now. Although if they are very aggressive I may not want one at all. My three year old daughter goes in to pet the hens and I like that she can.

• If you are interested, I have 4 little boys 6 weeks old to choose from. Hatched and raised myself.  A blue Ameraucana, a Cuckoo Marans and 2 (very pretty lavender color) Miscellaneous boys. I just need to move them out because I have too many birds and no roos allowed.

My girls seemed a bit more contented with a roo around. He was a sweetie though (Frizzled silkie/polish). I kept him long enough to hatch some pretty adorable babies. Which are also available.

I would go by the breed if you are not interested in keeping a pure breed going. Ameraucanas are sweet by nature (mine were very sweet) and I think barred rocks (have not owned a rock roo but my hens are fantastic). You could also go with a bantum or silkie. He won't do much damage if they even let him on. They will eventually if they are interested enough and they can fend him off if they are not. That was my experience.

• I think the Marans are gorgeous my neighbor has one, but their chickens are all free range and mine are not. How is there temperament?

• My Marans are real sweeties too. I spend a lot of time out there with my birds so they are all very tame and calm around people. Sheri is right though, once their hormones flare up it could be a different story. I would pick by common consent as to which roos are most docile adults and if it would be a good meat bird as well. Marans and Rocks are dual purpose.

• I am sure there are plenty of people that have straight run roosters they are willing to send your way.  I have gifted many a fine rooster to friends and VPA people.  In fact, if I would have read this a week ago, a close friend just gave up an Ameraucana cockerel that he thought was a pullet until it was clear it wasn't.  Although, I'd wait to get a young one when the heat subsides.  It is fun to watch them learn to crow, plus introducing a younger cock to the flock may let the girls establish a little dominance early on, versus just throwing an old hand into the mix (Roosters can be rough on hens).

This reply was deleted.