Help! I think I have a Roo

So I thought I had four beautiful hens well anyway I noticed my Barred rock hen always seamed a bit larger and some what of a bully with the others but I just figured she is big boned.  Yesturday I picked my Barred Rock and I noticed that she is growing something on each of the side of her face that looks like a wattle. (oh know) I cant keep a rooster since I live in a neigborhood with an association. my hens are in the teenage phase so albout 1 1/2 months i think. So my dilema; take him back to the breeder and exchange for another hen? or find him another home and just buy another hen. I just want to make sure he finds a good home since we are attached to our chics...

20110216_6.JPG

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Yeah, I agree. It has the wash on the front of the legs and darker feathers, I think.

I've only seen Barred Rock pullets at this age, but I think a rooster's comb would actually be bigger.

Can you get a picture of it standing?  A side shot and shot from the top would help.

• I think Im freaking out, beacause I have nothing better to do... thanks for all your help... I believe you guys are right. I so glad becuase I did not want to part with my Cocoa.
  • 5019511681?profile=original
  • Your picture doesn't look like a 6 week old chick to me.  Do you have a more recent picture? (preferably one that's not fuzzy :-)

The coloring sometimes helps identify a BR Roo.  Roos are often lighter feathered than the hens.

You can also look at stance and size and color of legs. Pullets tend to have a gray wash on the front of the legs and roo's legs tend to be thicker.

Here are my barred rock pullets at 6 weeks. 

DSC_0141.JPG

• 5022318252?profile=originalOk I hope this photo helps.
    • sorry my eight year old loaded an old pic. but yup! that looks like my hen...lol.. I guess the name Cocoa can go both ways.. =(

and yes he is thicker then the others in feet and body. but he is handsome...

• I don't know if your chick is a roo or not, but below is a picture of a young hen about a few months old, a bit older than your girls.

Roosters are tricky. So many of us live where we can't have roosters either, so finding a "forever home" can be very difficult.

5021577864?profile=original

• well I might be ok. I will keep an eye on her.. thanks so much for the pic. This is our first time with chickens..

• So I compared your pic again with my chic, and well mine is crowing a crown. =(. I think he is a Roo...

This reply was deleted.