Goats in Phoenix?

Could I keep a goat in Phoenix?  My dad's goat had 2 girl kids while I was visiting IN and they were so cute.  One rolled out of the pen onto the barn floor (it was cold in IN) and it couldn't stand, so I had to bottle feed it the first day.  Dad was feeling OK the next day and it ate 14ozs. milk for him.  The mama finally claimed it and now it's doing great, but he can't manage the goats anymore and is going to have to get rid of them.  I learned to milk the old goat (no, not my dad!!) and it wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it would be and the milk was sweeter than cow's milk.  I'm reading Storey's goat guide and there's lots to do with goats milk.

Just wondering if it's possible before he sells them off.

DSC02742.JPG

DSC02744.JPG

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I live in Phoenix and to my understanding goats aren't allowed for us because we don't have enough property.
    • Hi Tenacity,

Some additional notes: pygmies are really cute, but unlike Nigerian Dwarfs they can have trouble delivering, so if you are looking for milk and babies lean more towards the Nigerians or larger.
      They will not mow your lawn (grass is not sufficiently nutritious enough unless they are starving), but they will prune your shrubs for you and they are goats so they like anything where they can climb up and look around.

Many goat owners go to yard sales and purchase the kiddy play sets for the goats to play on and under. Adds to the amusement factor in owning goats - my babies used to run 'up' the slide and then turn around and slide down.

Understanding how their stomachs work and the need to start them off each day with a good alfafa hay/pellet routine will go a long way to trying to keep them interested in the plants you really want them to eat - non-lactating does, or wethered boys can be used to keep your weeds down AFTER you have given them a good morning hay ration - that way they will not eat toxic-to-them plants.

For boredom you can give them a soccer ball or the balls made for horses - depending on the size of the goats - or the play sets I mentioned.

Hope those tips help, Catherine
  • Hi Denise,

As Jan said goats can be kept in Phoenix and they are great to own and you are correct there are lots of options for using the milk - I love my goat yogurt. But make sure you are not in an HOA - they usually have restrictions on anything considered livestock. Some exempts, but not necessarily in HOAs are the miniature goats which are considered an exotic pet exclusion to the regulations. Good luck, they are so neat to own. Catherine
This reply was deleted.