Free Egg Cartons

Looking for a good home for many empty egg cartons. They are clean and in very good condition. I look forward to having someone put them to good use.

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• We are in central phoenix...we would love to give them a good home ;)

Dave

• Hi, Carol!

I'd be happy to make use of your egg cartons.  I sell some of my eggs to friends and neighbors.  I'm also a Girl Scout leader and we're making plans for our area Encampment event, for about 150 girls.  We use cartons to sort craft supplies and for art projects.  If some of the cartons are cardboard, we use then to teach the girls to make firestarters with dryer lint or wood shavings and old candles.

Firestarters: Fill each compartment of a cardboard egg carton to overflowing with dryer lint, wood shavings, or hamster bedding.  Next, heat leftover candles just until they reach the melting point, and pour in around the rest of the filling until compartments are full.  When they cool, break carton compartments apart and use two or three to start a fire instead of newspaper or leaves, which scouts are not allowed to use because they are too light and carry sparks easily with the slightest breeze or the heat uplift from the campfire.

Let me know if they are still available-- we'd sure appreciate them.

Thanks!

Laura

• Dear Laura,

Several people have expressed interest in the cartons for eggs. Please email me directly and we can talk further. Thanks. bekind@hushmail.com

• I love this firestarter idea!! I usually use my egg cartons to start seeds or put into my compost, but since we camp each summer, I will be making a batch of these to take camping. I recently put a trash can next to my dryer so that I could save the dryer lint -- I just wasn't sure what I was saving it for! Now I know! Thanks, Marilyn

• For my fellow camper--  In a pinch, two or three Frito's corn chips make amazing firestarters because of their high oil content.  Just poke them among your kindling and light them directly-- they just burn and burn.  Toss a little $.25 snack size bag in with your campfire or grilling gear and you'll never need newspaper or pine needles.  Great for camping, but sure makes you wonder about putting them into your body!

Happy camping!

Laura

Oh, and empty tissue boxes make great lint savers-- the plastic around the opening keeps the lint in, and the boxes are small, pretty, and stack nicely in storage.  When one gets full, just store it away until you're ready to make your firestarters.

This reply was deleted.