Fence Rollers

I recently posted about my fence rollers in a response to a coyote attack message (to keep dogs in and coyotes/dogs out).  I thought I would explain how I did my DIY version for those who are interested.

I looked at several sites and wound up doing something similar to what I found at

http://www.huskycamp.com/security.htm

I also saw some other DIY versions at

http://www.basenjiforums.com/showthread.php?4676-Fence-climbing-deterrent

http://blog.caninesinaction.com/2011/07/how-to-stop-your-dog-climbing-fences-for-12/

See my pictures below for what I am describing.  I drilled 3" corner brackets every 18" to 4' along my block wall, about 2" from edge.  My wall is curved so I had to change the spacing to make the linear PVC pipe follow the curve.  But I did not go longer than 4 feet (I love rotary hammer drills--I rented one from HomeDepot).  I cut PVC pipe to match the brackets, minus 1/2inch to allow for free movement.  For example, If I had a 24-inch space between brackets, I cut the PVC pipe to 23.5-inches.  I used 1/2-inch for the inner tube and 1-inch for the outer tube.  I painted the outer pipe to blend in with my wall.

I used vinyl-covered 3/8-inch wire rope to string up the pipe between the brackets (this is the largest size that will fit through the screw holes--you can use larger if the rope is not vinyl covered) and u-clamps to secure the rope at the ends.  I like this DIY version because it will be relatively easy to maintain and repair over time.

So far, I have not seen another coyote on my property since they were installed--but they have only been up for 2-months.  So they are either working or the coyotes just have not come back yet :]

fencerollers2.jpg

fencerollers3.jpg

fencerollers4.jpg

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thanks! This is EXCELLENT!

• This is quite clever! I thought I would ask as it has been a few months since your original posts... it continuing to work?

• So far, I have not seen any coyotes on the property or lost any more birds.  I prefer to continue to think that the rollers are working :]  However, soon after I installed the rollers, construction began to convert the agricultural field they were traversing to my place into a new housing community.  It is possible the coyotes may have been driven off or killed.  I am staying vigilant. 

In the last two weeks, two roosters have decided to make my place their new home.  I do not know from where they came.  When the first one appeared, I figured it might be a runaway or was abandoned.  When the second one showed up a week later, I started leaning toward someone abandoning them.  Anyway, they do not roost in my protected coops.  One roosts on a low fence and the other roosts on a taller wall.  So far, nothing has attacked them.

• Thank you for the instructions and photos. Definately something a DIYer could manage. Kudos!

• Thank you so much for this great idea!

• Thank you K. - a lot of people will find this very, very helpful!

This reply was deleted.