I posted this in the Southeast Permies group, but I thought I'd throw the idea out here, too.

I live in the north Gilbert area (Baseline & Greenfield), and was wondering if anyone would be interested in a milk "cow-op." The idea is that we share a milk cow. This means we share the cost of a cow & setup (we have the space), share the milking and cleaning duties, and share the product, which is raw, non-homogenized milk. It would work something like this:

Benefits:

• Raw milk and cream from your own cow.
  • You only get the milk you use, and don't have to deal with excess.
  • You only milk once or twice/week, according to your needs.
  • The costs are shared by all "members."
  • You can have a cow and milk even if you live in a subdivision.
  • You get training on how to milk the cow.
  • You don't have to be a cow expert. Most of the care, breeding, calfing, etc. would be taken care of for you.

Duties:

Each contributor would be assigned times to milk & clean, based on their membership.

Costs:

• There would be a "membership" cost, to fund the initial setup, including the cow.
  • There would be a periodic (monthly or quarterly) payment to fund supplies, maintenance, replacement costs, breeding costs, etc.

I don't know what all this would add up to yet, but it will definitely be less than keeping a personal cow. If there's enough interest, I'll research the costs to see if it's feasible.

The way we're thinking about this, the membership can be sold, so the initial funds can be recouped if you decide not to continue.

If you're interested or have any questions, please respond to this post or email me at FarmAndGarden@i4ie.com.

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Altrece down in tuscon has lamancha's and hers is the best goat milk I have ever tasted its wonderful

• Sheri and all,

You can own any dairy animal for your own milk production in AZ as long as you comply with zoning requirements for your property/city.  It gets complicated when you want to co-own something with what amounts to a legal contract.  You can't make a "legal" contract for something that is out-lawed directly or where you would have to prove a legal right to contract and 'require' someone(s) to fulfill the obligation under the contract - hope that makes sense.

You can "sell" your own raw milk for "pet milk" if you add a colored dye to it to indicate it is not for human consumption.

As someone noted a lot of the sharing is done under the radar because of the onerous requirements for being an inspected dairy facility.  In other states people simply made hand-shake agreements to share things.  If you want all the eyes dotted and t's crossed then you have to go with the full regulator process.

In this and other food control issues, most of it is big ag/corps doing the mandating.

In fairness though, some of it is the lack of self-policing within a group.  There was a fairly active raw-dairy-goat group of farmers in the valley in the 70s/80s.  When one of the dairies simply did not use proper cleanliness procedures and no one within the group called them out on it, oneone(s) got sick, the whole group was outlawed, put out of business and the laws changed (and constantly updated) to require even small dairies to comply with huge milk-parlor standards.

I can certainly appreciate the reports of civil food disobedience and under the radar push back to government regulations.

• What you say makes total sense.

I honestly cannot find anything that regulates the true sharing of a cow, in which all owners participate in the care and milking of it. I can find, interwoven withing a couple of regulations, where a cow-share is not allowed, in which one person does all the care and milking, simply handing over the milk to the shareholders. I can see where a "cow-op" would have to be worked out to look clearly different than a cow-share. I truly believe this can be done. 

I'd like to find the regulations that disallow a contract. I don't doubt what you say, I just can't find a law. If anyone can find it, please let me know. I'll continue to research in other directions as time allows.

• Hi Sheri,

Re: contract - that was not a specific contract I was referring to, but to 'contract law' as it is customarily applied.  Hypothetical - a person starts a 'share' with a 'contract' between them and others.  Someone does not perform and is sued to enforce performance or refund or whatever. (all you need is one bad apple, disgruntled 'member' to decide they are not getting their fair whatevers and you have the basis for a suit).  :-)

• Gotcha.  :)

Just re-read your first statement. As long as everything being done is legal, no problem. I just want to make certain we don't accidentally do something illegal!

• From CL today, maybe ask this person?

Dairy goat for lease (valley wide)

Date: 2012-06-24, 1:53PM MST
      Reply to: shxn7-3053149139@sale.craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

Do you want healthy fresh goat milk? DO not want the work or can not have a milking goat in your back yard ? I have a solution for you.

I have Nubian does in milk that I am willing to lease to you. They stay on my property, I have all the work, I milk them, I care for them

you have none of the work or worry. You pay a board fee every month. Once a week I go to Tempe, N.E. valley around the Shea and Tatum area,

and to Glendale, 51 Ave and Cactus. I am not selling the milk. You are leasing a doe in milk, you are paying me to board this doe, care for

her and to milk her for you. They are not fed any corn or soy, their diet is alfalfa in the morning, dairy goat grain nix on the milk stand, bermuda pasture 24/7, alfalfa

You pay a 1 time charge to lease the doe, you pay a monthly fee for her board and you get to have the milk. Email me with questions, tell me what part of the valley

you live in and a contact phone number.

Thank you !

in the evening and again the Dairy Goat grain on the milk stand. They are milked using a 2 goat system milking machine. THe does are healthy and not fed any

hormones, antibiotics or steroids. I try to keep it as " natural " as I can. These are very spoiled girls. Send me your phone number and area you live in.

I will call you with all the information and rates.

• Thanks, Liz. I think I'll give them a call this week. :)

• Most successful cow shares are basically done "underground", with small groups, and not publicized because of the Dairymen Association and regulators.  There is one local legal raw milk dairy in the southeast valley, but it is $10 per gallon.  They do not advertise because they want to stay off the radar, and targeting, of the Dairymen  Tastes good though :]

On a related note, has anyone considered or raised a miniature zebu cow?  They only produce about a gallon of milk a day and are very heat tolerant.

• We considered a Dexter, which is the smallest of full-sized breeds. The mini zebu is cute, but I'm guessing pricey...?

• I would definitely be interested, if we could figure out how to do this legally.  Keep us posted!

This reply was deleted.