Excessively loud Welsummers

I have 5 girls - two Barred Rocks, one Ameraucana, two Welsummers.  The Barred Rocks are the sweetest chickens I have ever had, the Ameraucana is mellow but the Welsummers scream!  They just started laying but don't scream when they lay, just the entire rest of the day.  The one even started standing at the back door and screaming until I come out.  Then she takes off and starts somewhere else.  

If my patience is being tried, I can imagine my neighbors.  Any ideas?  Or does anyone want two noisy but laying beautiful brown egg Welsummers?

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Sheri, thank you for that ray of hope :-)  I hope that becomes true!

• Tried to message you, but it said I could not :(  Hope you find the secret to keeping them quiet..... Honestly, I do not know what it is :(  We had a girl that did not scream but talked ALL the time!!! Even in her sleep lol.  My daughter named her Gabby haha If you must rehome them, please email me walentiny@q.com :) 

• Kelly - thank you!  If my neighbors really do lose patience with me (and them) then I will have to rehome them.  It's funny, I should name mine Gabby...her name is Ziggy, which, if I recall, was that really shy, quiet cartoon character.  Ironic!

• LOL That is tooooo funny!!! It is ironic how names work out....  Yes, we have had quite a few hen have their name changed with age as they did NOT turn out to be "sweet Pea" or "cuddles"... haha  My daughter just renamed a rooster to "superman" because he turned out to be the most AWESOME (as far as roosters go lol) guy.  Very sweet, and kind, and a FANTASTIC protector and gentlemen to the girls yet super loving to us ;)  Never been a HUGE fan of roosters but he is a real superman lol....  Good luck with your girls.  Wish I had some ideas for you.  I do believe though that it has A LOT to do with personality!!!!!!

• If anyone ever tries to say that chickens don't have their own personalities, they just need to spend a day with mine.  Even the dog knows which ones she can 'play' with and who to avoid :-)

• How old are your Welsummers?

• I'll be more than happy to give them a home. We only have 1 chicken at the moment. We would allow them to free range in our large back yard.
    • Casssandra, thank you.  I am going to give her a few more days and chat with a neighbor.  I will know then if I need to take you up on that.  They free range here also, so it's reassuring to know that they'd have the same option.  

• 6 months old - just started laying week before last

This reply was deleted.