cuck EGGS! our first!

Mama duck has laid 2 eggs!!!!! What now? is it unusual to lay eggs in this heat?are they fertile? boy ducks are only 3 months. OH I"M excited!!!!

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Chris or Rachel, have any idea how much down is offa one duck? Enough to save?
    time fer bed fer me.
  • Plucking a duck is about 10 times more work than a chicken because of all the down etc. A neighbor told me when they did ducks (only once because of the plucking being such a pain) they added paraffin to the scalding water. Of course if you go that route you can't save all the down feathers for pillows etc.
    • oooh RACHEL!!!! don't tell me THAT! I never thought of keeping the feathers for anything. I dunno though...picking up all those feathers floating around the yard from them cleaning themselves....yuk.

I just read a link Dan put somewhere on here, about a plucker a guy made. looks easy.

I'll go look at Chris' link. Chris, you pluck ducks? er...rather....yer a duck plucker?

Yawl KNOW i'm gonna try it. and I gotta not do the parrafin...although I AM on a mission to get rid of stuff.
    • Hi Chris, thanks! The boys aren't in the mood yet for females in their lives. one is a mama's boy, the other is a bully. He'll be eaten as soon as I figure out how to pluck him.

Get this...the first egg we got out of her nest...was hard boiled!!! Yes indeedy, we have a VERY valuable duck insofar as she lays hard boiled eggs. You can skip the cost of even owning a pot, cause this duck is speshull. LOL t
      the 2nd egg we did scramble and eat. it was interesting. Very rich, not gamey, thicker than chicken eggs.

I'll put pix up.
    • It was hard boiled???? WOW....you don't even have to crack an egg on the sidewalk in Phx....just leave it outside for awhile and ....tada....hard boiled. TOO FUNNY!!!

Congrats on your first eggs.
This reply was deleted.