chickens vs. dogs

Any great ideas to ease a new dog into the backyard with the chickens ? We 'd ideally like them to all get along , but right now the dog wants to chase them constantly... ideas?

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thanks for the advice ... good ideas
  • We have a lab that goes level 10 in a split second. A citrine bark collar keeps him from barking at every little fly buzzing by while using a shock collar (sparingly) has created a submissive behavior. He now lays at my feet and heels off leash. I would never have known the beautiful spirit of this dog without the use of a shock collar as there was no humane way for me to match his intensity. In his calm state, positive reinforcement and treats reward his good behavior. Our other lab is a teddy bear but wanted to play and chase the chickens like dragonflies. 140 lbs vs. 3 lbs....Nope! Leash training worked for him. We exposed the dogs one at a time and we made sure they were always calm and laying down in the beginning with the chickens. Recently, we acquired Bun-Bun Bunny who was found starving in a foreclosed home! Bun-Bun loves the dogs and they all 'free-range' together in the evenings but always under a watchful eye. The dogs just follow me around while I chase the girls off the yummy garden sprouts and Bunny does freedom flipflops in the middle of the yard. It's quite the commedy show and good exercise!

I know some people think shock collars are inhumane. Even the lady at Petsmart harshly scolded me as if I were an unruly animal abuser when I purchased the collar. She does not know my level 10 lab.....and the sleepless nights chasing and wrestling down the barking maniacal 'watchdog'....When I was changing water yesterday morning, some girls broke out and flew sqwaking across the yard like jailbirds on the lam and the dogs just sat there. I was the only one that freaked out! I wouldn't say we are quite ready for that kodak moment but I am thankful we have finally reached a peaceful coexistance without diminshing our canine safety factor.

Good luck with your pets..they bring so much love and joy...
  • This reply was deleted.
    • Thanks that's actually what we did and now she does great with chickens ... she is a wonderful pound dog .. thanks.
  • I will reiterate what has already been said, but I would also like to add that chickens are very sensitive to stress. You should not only be concerned with the dog physically attacking your birds but also just being aggressive/barking at them. A chicken can die from this kind of stress. A fearful chicken is also a bad layer. Even with obedience training, all it takes is one slip up and you'll have a sad situation and the dog will always be tempted. I vote for strong physical barriers as well as obedience. Good luck!
    • Thanks for the reminders!
  • That's exactly what happen we had the coop double chicken wired around the coop and got under and then found a place to wiggle into the coop! Stinker !
  • Hi there,
    How old is the new dog? & how big are the chickens? I know with my big golden, he tried following them around at first, more curiosity than anything, but they set him straight pretty quick. Funny sight, have 5 Rhode Island Reds chasing my big golden retreiver..lol
    • Yikes , she broke into the chicken coop tonight !! I hope this can get figured out quick!
    • We have our chicken coop wired up with an electric fence on the chicken wire ... it works great! I know there are cats and probably other predators that hang around when the dog is inside the house. Our dog killed our first five chicks and one of the second five. We now keep her locked in a bedroom when the chickens are out ranging, so there is no chance we will forget she's around and open the door. One lapse in diligence can quickly turn into tragedy. Good luck!
    • Wow i hope that they end up getting him!
This reply was deleted.