Chicken Sitters?

I am taking strides to my chicken coop... have decided to get some pullets from a nearby chicken guy... but I am trying to decide if I do this now or in October. I would love to do it sooner... but one of the deciding factors is that we are taking a 4 day trip to Disney the first week in October.

Does anyone know of chicken sitters? Do you normally just hire a neighborhood kid? Ideas?

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• At the time of our vacation... birds will be 6month-ish. 3-4 birds... our set up is an enclosed run with a coop inside. I was thinking of possibly doing a run inside a run... then leave the birds to have access to the inside run and coop while we are gone... but I wasn't sure if that even made sense...

Plus, even with something that diverts eggs away from chickens... they'd spoil outside after that long... so I'd need someone to collect any eggs that may be there... or just trash what I find when I get back...
  • Awesome! Thanks, Chris! I might be able to get away with having someone just check on food/water... plus... they might not be laying anyway by then...
  • What part of Gilbert do you live in?
    I might be interested in trading sitting. :-)
    Becky
    • Hi Becky! I am at Chandler Heights and Higley... I would be HUGELY interested!!
    • Tabitha,
      We're at Greenfield and Guadalupe. That's almost 1/2 hour away from you. :-(
      I was hoping you were closer.

Maybe it would make sense to start a chicken sitting co-op for the group?
    • Becky... yeah... it's about 10 miles.

Let me know if you do ever need help though!
    • I had FETCH Pet Care take care of my birds while I was gone this summer. I think it was the first time they had taken care of chickens but they did an awesome job. I would absolutely hire them again. It's not cheap but they will take great care of your birds. Here's their info from their website:
      Fetch! Pet Care of
      Chandler-Gilbert
      Chandler, AZ 85249 | 602-903-4381
      Email: chandler@fetchpetcare.com
    • I wonder how far west they travel? My friend had given me this link, http://www.rentahen.com/services/default-services.htm, but they seem to be central/west side Phx.

You never know who might be helpful - my lawn guy was thrilled when he saw my chickens and has been super about checking and refilling their water when he comes over! I'm probably going to pay him to check on them next time I'm gone for the weekend.
      This domain may be for sale
      This domain may be for sale
This reply was deleted.