Replies

• Did you have other hens when you brought home the baby chicks? If yes, did any others peck at the new babies or did you separate them and just let the broody one near them?
    • I put them in a separate cage inside the coop so they would be safe. I didnt let them out until they were big enough to handle themselves
  • i just kept taking her out of the nesting box as often as I could.  Also, I removed the eggs as soon as possible to keep her from sitting on them all day.  In addition, I gave her lots of running around the yard time so that she could "snap out of it."  She's been great every since.  Still haven't gotten any eggs from her but at least she is not sitting in the nesting box all day long and being grouchy.  Good luck.
  • You can try putting her in a large wire bottomed cage (like a rabbit cage) with no bedding  to brood on for about 72 hours. Of course make sure it's in a cool location with plenty of food and cool water. This recently got one of my hens to end her broodiness.

Be sure it's in a place where your other birds can still see her, so you don't have issues with reintroduction when it's time to take her out of the cage. :)

• I had a broody hen for 7 weeks last year and the only thing that worked was getting baby chicks. She was cured in less than 24 hrs after bringing the little ones home
This reply was deleted.